ABOUT ARENA STAGE
Arena Stage was founded August 16, 1950 in Washington, D.C. by Zelda Fichandler, Tom Fichandler and Edward Mangum. Over 65 years later, Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater, under the leadership of Artistic Director Molly Smith and Executive Director Edgar Dobie, is a national center dedicated to American voices and artists. Arena Stage produces plays of all that is passionate, profound, deep and dangerous in the American spirit, and presents diverse and ground-breaking work from some of the best artists around the country. Arena Stage is committed to commissioning and developing new plays and impacts the lives of over 10,000 students annually through its work in community engagement. Now in its seventh decade, Arena Stage serves a diverse annual audience of more than 300,000.
This position is responsible for growing Arena Stage's digital footprint by researching, developing, and implementing a measurable and integrated social and digital media strategy, which closely maps to, and extends, Arena’s overall brand strategy as developed and directed by the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). In addition, this position will be responsible for actively identifying, and engaging with, communities of influence across the social space, and participating in and/or leading internal and external community-building initiatives that have a significant social/digital media component.
The successful candidate will have experience and expertise in message development and mapping, a solid grounding in earned media and public relations, and be a versatile writer and editor of short- and long-form copy. This position also requires a solid understanding of the social media universe and how it impacts marketing, communication, and brand building; a strong grasp of digital and social media best practices including current legislation and conversations around online privacy and security; familiarity and ease with using a range of tools and platforms for online content creation and dissemination; online community building; social and digital media analytics; and the ability to leverage social media platforms for market research and audience development.
This position works closely with multiple functional areas both within the department as well as across the organization, including Artistic, Content, Box Office, Development, and Analytics. The successful candidate will be nimble, resourceful and creative; adept at developing and implementing data-driven people-centric social marketing campaigns and initiatives; an excellent project manager, and highly collaborative.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Under the supervision of the Associate Director, Media & Marketing, and as directed by the Chief Marketing Officer, develop and implement both show- and brand-specific social media marketing strategies and campaigns for Arena Stage
- Integrate these efforts with Arena’s overall media and communications including, but not limited to, its earned and paid media outreach, using a “PESO” (Paid, Earned, Shared, Owned) approach as appropriate
- Lead the creation and dissemination of social and digital media content for Arena Stage, including managing its owned and shared properties such as its Facebook Page, Twitter handle, etc.
- Develop and maintain a social media listening and intelligence dashboard, regularly responding to and engaging with online audiences
- Regularly extracting, and reporting on, insights garnered via the social media dashboard and/or other sources, to enhance existing and planned marketing initiatives
- Support/participate in overall media monitoring, as needed/requested
- Lead Arena Stage’s online community building efforts, including growing Arena’s visibility and relationships with relevant influencers, and managing Arena’s online communities as they grow
- Develop and maintain social media guidelines for Arena Stage staff, as well as a range of stakeholders such as board members, ambassadors, volunteers, etc.
- Research, lead, and/or collaborate on digital and social media buys, as requested/needed
- Regularly analyze, evaluate, and report on the effectiveness of digital and social media initiatives, integrating with Google Analytics and/or other analytics tools for holistic reporting
- Participate in and/or support the development, storyboarding, and management of institutional and production photo and video shoots, as needed/requested
- Assists in the documentation of departmental work by drafting monthly reports, project summary reports, memos, agendas, minutes, PowerPoint presentations, and/or other business/technical documents, as needed/requested
- Research and share with the rest of the team professional development/learning opportunities as appropriate
- Willingness to be available, if needed, as an emergency contact after business hours, on holidays and weekends
- Other duties, as required and deemed necessary by supervisor, with the understanding that projects and responsibilities may be changed or added at supervisor’s discretion.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, social media, communications, writing, advertising, or a related field
- 3-4 years’ digital/social media marketing experience; agency experience a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A solid understanding of the social media universe, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, WordPress and/or blogging/micro-blogging platforms
- A strong grasp of search engine optimization, and the ability to apply it to social and digital strategies
- Proficiency with social and digital media analytics and tools, including Google Analytics, and platform-specific analytics (e.g., Facebook Business Suite, Twitter Analytics, etc.)
- Experience with integrated, organic, and paid influencer campaigns which incorporate an “always on” approach
- Proficiency with creative software, such as Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Photoshop a plus)
- Dexterity with commonly used digital marketing tools and platforms, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Canva, Asana, Basecamp, Wordpress, Sprout Social, Hootsuite, etc.
- The willingness to learn new programs used at Arena, including, but not limited to, the Tessitura Database Management System
- Proficiency in word processing and database computer programs, including the Microsoft Office Suite, and basic proficiency in photo and video editing using programs such as Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, etc.
- Ability to operate digital and/or 35mm cameras to conduct photography and/or videography to provide multimedia support as needed
- A gift for community building, both online and off, with the ability and desire to stay agile and authentic on social media
- A gifted storyteller, who understands how to tell, and leverage, organizational stories in the digital space in a way that educates, cultivates, and motivates audiences to respond and grow
- Excellent organizational and reporting skills, with the ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects
- A collaborative team player, with a problem-solving approach and an eye for detail
- The ability and willingness to work flexible hours, long days and weekends, if required
- A passion for theater and an understanding of how it contributes to the fabric of our culture
NOTE: Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide work samples, either on social sites, or via a portfolio link.
- Must be a legal resident of the United States and be able to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States
- Ability to travel as/when necessary
- Must be available, if needed, as emergency contact after business hours, on holidays and weekends
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, long days and weekends, if required