We're ArenaNet, a studio making online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. Our passion is broadly shared; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
Our studio is built on foundations of excellence with a focus on community. We constantly innovate, unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2 and beyond. The status quo isn't good enough for our dedicated worldwide community of players which is why we question the de facto industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
- Build strong partner relationships with development teams
- Collaborate with engine to build features and solve problems
- Help develop and enforce studio wide lighting and surfacing technical guidelines through documentation and communication
- Maintain a holistic awareness of project needs as they relate to lighting and surfacing
- Collaborate with other departments to define the creative and technical needs as determined by the Art Director
- Collaborate with Technical Artists to ensure consistent technology and content
- Advance lighting and surfacing quality through pursuit and development of improved content creation methods
- Contribute to the development of lighting and surfacing techniques and processes used to achieve a product’s visual style
- Continually improve skill set through actively tracking emerging lighting and surfacing trends and technology, evaluating competitive products and tools
- Develop, support and challenge Lighting and Surfacing Artists to foster growth, satisfaction and contribution
- Previous supervisory experience within a game production environment
- Strong desire to lead, develop and grow a team of diverse artists
- Delegator – put decision-making in the hands of the people who are closest to the problem
- Solid understanding of lighting fundamentals, composition and color theory
- Experience with physically based rendering tools, shaders and materials
- Proficiency with lighting techniques such as vertex baking, light maps and light probes
- Understanding of HDR and HDR methodologies (HDR10, Dolby Vision)
- Background in painting HDR mattes
- Mature understanding of PBR shaders
- Experience using post-process toolsets (color tint, bloom, camera blur, etc.)
- Prior DCC package experience (Maya, Max, etc.)
- Self-driven team player with a passion for supporting and enabling others
- Good communication, organizational and time management
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of both art and technology in video games.
- Attention to detail
- Film rendering experience
- Photography experience as it relates to lighting
- Cinematic staging, lighting and shot finaling
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.
ArenaNet is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
ArenaNet LLC participates in E-Verify.