We are ArenaNet, a studio making online worlds infused with innovation, handcrafted excellence, and creative passion. Our passion is broadly shared; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
Our studio is built on foundations of excellence with a focus on community. We constantly innovate, unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2 and beyond. The status quo is not good enough for our dedicated worldwide community of players, which is why we question the de facto industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
As a Technical Rigging/Simulation Artist, you will be part of a team that researches, designs, and develops a new suite of rigging/simulation tools and workflows.
- Forward thinking about rigging/simulation techniques, processes and pipelines with a focus on improving collaboration among artists, designers and engine programmers
- Advance the quality of animated assets in our titles through creative tools, workflows and new technologies
- Develop flexible tools that satisfy a wide variety of needs and styles
- Script new rig components using ArenaNet’s proprietary component based rigging technology
- Setup simulation for assets including cloth, ragdoll, destruction, vegetation and any other type of state change needing procedural animation
- Rig complex or exotic assets
- Establish standards and best practices for rig and simulation construction
- Collaborate with multiple disciplines to prototype and implement new features and game mechanics
- Support the Art Department and other disciplines by providing solutions to a wide variety of challenges
- Investigate and provide solutions for in-game performance deficits
- 5 years of experience in game development or film with a significant portion dedicated to the use and creation of rigging/simulation pipelines
- Deep expertise in all aspects of rigging/simulation pipelines including set up, automation, and optimization
- Familiarity with Unreal, Unity, Crytek, Source, or other proprietary tool sets and understanding of strengths and weaknesses of various commercial and proprietary systems
- Comfortable using scripting languages such as Python, PyMEL, MEL or MAXScript
- Maya API and C#/C++ experience a plus
- Customer centric approach to tool development; solid grasp of UX
- Self-driven team player with the ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Proficiency with DCC tools (Maya and Photoshop preferred)
- Houdini experience a plus
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.
ArenaNet is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.