We’re ArenaNet—we’ve created a studio that makes online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
As a game developer that constantly strives to innovate, our studio is built on a foundation of excellence with a focus on community. We're unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2. The status quo isn’t good enough for the dedicated worldwide community of GW2 players, which is why we question industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
As Technical Lighting Artist, customer satisfaction and fostering positive relationships with artists is of the utmost importance. You will contribute to the development of lighting tools, processes and pipelines. Working closely with the Art Director and Lighting Artists, you help advance their visual style and improve lighting creation. All while helping to bridge the challenges between lighting artists and graphics programmers.
- Collaborate with other Technical Artists to ensure consistent technology and content
- Collaborate with content creators to improve their efficiency
- Collaborate with engine and project teams to build features and solve problems
- Support artists and communicate their technical needs
- Help develop and enforce lighting creation process and technical guidelines through documentation and communication
- Advance lighting quality through pursuit and development of improved content creation methods
- Problem solve the lighting pipeline and ensure lighting for levels runs in memory and within budget
- Contribute to the development of lighting techniques and processes used to achieve a product’s visual style
- 3+ years of experience as a Technical Lighting Artist within the games industry, film or equivalent
- Ability to create artist tools that increase quality and efficiency of art assets and streamline productivity
- Proficiency with 2D and 3D DCC software
- Experience with physically based rendering tools
- Solid understanding of lighting fundamentals
- Experience authoring PBR shaders using node-based editors
- Understanding of HDR and HDR methodologies (HDR10, Dolby Vision)
- Experience with multiple rendering systems (Forward, Forward Plus, Deferred)
- Understanding of Post-processing systems (color, bloom, etc.)
- Prior experience with performance evaluation toolsets and methodologies
- Self-driven team player that thrives in ambiguity
- Think creatively to solve technical challenges and limitations
- Good communication, organizational and time management
- Film rendering experience
- Experience writing GLSL vertex/fragment shaders
- Allegorithmic Substance experience
- Photography experience as it relates to lighting
- Cinematic staging and lighting
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.
ArenaNet is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
ArenaNet LLC participates in E-Verify.