Our studio is built on foundations of excellence with a focus on community. We constantly innovate, unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2 and beyond. The status quo is not good enough for our dedicated worldwide community of players, which is why we question the de facto industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
The role of Narrative as a discipline in the game development process is to provide context and meaning to the gameplay experience, binding all aspects of the game together into a coherent and integrated dramatic journey and cementing the emotional bond between player and game. As our products make clear, ArenaNet is a studio that values and respects that role as essential to the development of a great and successful game project.
Thus, our Story Editors are, in essence, creative narrative producers. They are full creative partners in that process, from the conception and ideation of IP, game projects, worlds, characters, themes, and tone; to the breaking and outlining of story and character arcs over scenes, missions, sequences, episodes, and seasons; to the writing of character bibles, story documents, and both Golden Path and Living World VO and text scripts. We collaborate intensively as parts of multidisciplinary teams to create unique and unforgettable immersive experiences for our players.
This is a senior or lead position that reports directly to the Studio Narrative Director on a per-project basis.
- Partner with the Narrative Design Lead (a.k.a. Lead Writer) and project leads to facilitate the creation and development of IP, story, and character arcs, in collaboration with other disciplines
- Drive story breaking sessions with project leadership, and host workshopping sessions in a writers' room setting
- Act as developmental editor to provide structural feedback and dialogue revisions for story scripts
- Write supporting documentation to effectively communicate development of the narrative to team members in all disciplines (season and episode summaries)
- Co-own the story with the Narrative Design Lead and adhere to overlapping production schedules for multiple episodes
- Use proprietary content creation tools to revise golden path story scripts
- Proficient dramatic writing skills, with a substantial track record in games and at least one other narrative medium (screenwriting, playwriting, prose fiction, etc.—writing for the spoken word preferred
- Experience in breaking serialized story at the season and episode level
- Experience leading teams or projects, and interfacing with a variety of disciplines
- Practical and theoretical knowledge and experience regarding the craft of dramatic storytelling across multiple media
- Demonstrable understanding of and experience in interactive and non-linear storytelling, using non-traditional and non-verbal delivery systems (e.g., environmental storytelling, in-engine storytelling without cutscenes or lore dumps, etc.)
- Passion for video games and deep knowledge of multiple genres
- Experience with and development knowledge of open-world games
- Excellent communication, decision-making, and organizational skills
- Demonstrable experience in world building, character creation, story arc design, dialogue writing, voice casting, and voice direction (portfolio submission required)
- Collaborative, productive, enthusiastic attitude when working with multidisciplinary teams on story creation and implementation
- Ability to learn and use proprietary tools to create content
- Ability to work independently as part of a large, coordinated team to hit deadlines
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity
- Burning urge to create
- Unafraid of making tough calls and "killing your darlings"
- Enthusiasm for lifelong learning, leveling up, and refinement of craft
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent educational achievement or work experience
- Minimum of three years’ professional experience as a Story/Dev Editor, Senior Narrative Designer, or Senior Writer on a game development team
- Minimum of three years’ professional experience as a writer in another narrative medium (preferably dramatic writing involving spoken dialogue; may be concurrent with game writing experience)
- Two or more shipped AAA-quality products on which you played an editorial, narrative design, or writing role
- Published/produced works—games, screenplays, stage plays, comics, novels, short stories, articles, videos, or other related materials
- Deep knowledge of games, film, television, literature, comics—especially in fantasy and science-fiction genres
- Experience in other disciplines of game design and development
- Familiarity with Final Draft and/or Microsoft Word
- Familiarity with narrative game systems
- Experience producing live action content (indie films, web series, television, etc.)
- Light implementation experience
This is a full time, on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A positive, supportive, collaborative, decidedly non-toxic work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.