Who we are
We’re ArenaNet. We make the games we want to play a reality, and infuse them with innovation, hand-crafted detail, and creative passion. As developer and publisher of the award-winning Guild Wars game series, we’re proud to share our passion for the online worlds we’ve created with over 11 million players worldwide.
Why join the Web Programming team?
On the Web Programming team, we have considerable autonomy due to our exceptional track record and high standards. We own our web stack top-to-bottom, choose the technologies we work with, and frequently experiment with different approaches.
- Are you passionate about creating awesome UI? We’re always working on new and exciting projects including in-game UI, web sites, game launchers, and internal tools.
- Would you like a say in what projects you work on? We feel team members are most effective in working on what they’re passionate about. We’re all capable of working on any given project and often shift tasks.
- Do you value flexibility in deciding which technologies to use? We own our web stack top-to-bottom and aren’t shy about experimenting with new tech. However, we take a measured approach in order to minimize introducing unnecessary technical debt.
- Do you enjoy having influence over the end result? We collaborate with designers, artists, and other programming teams, and our web expertise plays an important role in how we approach each project and various UI/UX decisions.
What we’ve been working on
- We built the most complex in-game UI in Guild Wars 2 using an embedded browser powered by Coherent GT. This includes the Trading Post, Gem Store, and Guild Halls.
- We created an account management and registration site (https://account.arena.net) that utilizes both server-side and client-side rendering to provide a speedy experience.
- While re-writing the Guild Wars 2 launcher for maintainability, we sped up the Gem Store and Trading Post by having the launcher preload their assets into a shared web cache.
- While developing a marketing site to promote our latest Guild Wars 2 expansion (https://guildwars2.com/path-of-fire/), we implemented support for on-the-fly image resizing using AWS (S3, Lambda, and API Gateway).
- We simplified many existing apps by reworking them to use Mithril.js
- We improved optimized our local build times and added an auto-refresh feature that reloads your current application whenever local changes are made.
What you will work on
Your web performance, Node.js, UI/UX expertise, and asynchronous programming skills will be essential in helping us succeed. Here’s a glimpse of how you might fit in:
- You’ll craft in-game UI built on Coherent GT and collaborate with artists and gameplay/engine programmers to polish it and add new UI effects.
- You’ll create exciting new web sites that promote ArenaNet and our games.
- You’ll be creative and have fun. We’re currently collaborating with other teams on an interesting promotional site that one of our team members spearheaded.
- While updating and maintaining our existing applications, you’ll share our healthy obsession with leaving things in a simpler and easier to maintain state.
Code samples are required in order to complete your application for the Web Programmer position at ArenaNet. If you fail to send or include code samples you will not be considered for this position.
You may provide your code samples in a number of ways:
- A link to your GitHub account with relevant web projects.
- A website you contributed to and a detailed description of your personal contributions.
- Code samples not available online may be sent to email@example.com.
Join our team!
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work. Learn more about working with us at https://arena.net/ or ping us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ArenaNet is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
ArenaNet LLC participates in E-Verify.