Ready to make an impact? Arctic Wolf is looking for a Senior Software Developer - Big Data to join our pack.
Arctic Wolf, fresh off its unicorn valuation, is the leader in security operations in an exciting and fast-growing industry—cybersecurity. How fast are we growing? Well, Arctic Wolf was highly ranked in the Deloitte Fast Technology 500 for North America in both 2019 (#25) and 2020 (#104)! We have doubled headcount, customers, and revenue for five years running.
We are also cultivating a collaborative and productive work environment that welcomes a diversity of backgrounds and ideas to make our teams even stronger. In fact, we are recognized as one of the 2020 Best Places to Work (bizjournals.com).
As we believe in corporate responsibility, Arctic Wolf offices across North America participate in volunteer programs throughout their communities. We’ve also earned distinction from TravelWise for our efforts in promoting sustainable transportation.
About the Role:
As a Senior Developer in the Big Data space, you’ll work on the team that focusses on building the systems that allow for the storage and rapid searching of big data focused on cyber security use cases. This security focused telemetry data is collected from customers by leveraging endpoint, network, and cloud data sources both inside and outside our customers’ networks. Our team designs, builds and manages large scale systems that allow both our customers as well as our own employees to leverage these various sets of data, to better understand and improve their security posture.
As a result, you’ll work within the exciting intersections of big data, distributed computing, cloud technologies and infrastructure as code. Our existing stacks includes both custom built and open source components written in Python, Go or Java, deployed within Amazon Web Services. We leverage both Kubernetes and other containerized platforms, along with legacy instance management platforms. Some major open source components we use include Elasticsearch, ClickHouse, RunDeck, and Prometheus along with various other components, as well as custom application services developed in-house.
- Implementation and design of new analytics products, taking customer requirements into account
- Maintenance of our existing Java and Go based systems
- Deployment and configuration of open source components
- Improve our capabilities to operate and scale reliably as we grow
We value a culture of sharing, so every team has the opportunity to share their work with the entire department during our monthly R&D Demos. Once a year we hold a department-wide Hackathon, teaming up across all R&D teams over four days to collaborate and build cool ideas outside the normal project scope. While innovation is the focus, some of these ideas do make it into our products.
You’re an experienced Developer who enjoys solving complex technical challenges with little to no guidance. You care about writing quality code that is maintainable. Working collaboratively in cross-functional teams is your thing. Colleagues look to you for guidance on software development best practices.
You should have work experience and/or interest in the following areas:
- Significant experience with working on backend systems
- Excited about working in the big data space
- Relevant experience developing software in either Python, Go, or other object oriented languages
- Comprehensive experience in software development integrating with RESTful API interfaces
- Experience with either SQL or Elasticsearch DSL query languages
- Prior development working with message queue systems such as Amazon SQS, Kafka or others
- Experience with columnar and/or time-series databases (e.g. ClickHouse, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, etc)
- Ability to work cohesively within a team and habitually spread knowledge in various forms (verbally, documentation)
- Ability, comfort, and interest in picking up new technologies and frameworks which you may not be familiar with
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Understanding of Kubernetes
In addition, you have proven leadership experience from previous projects, regardless of title held. You have the ability to perform programming tasks and large engineering projects with Independence and expertise. You will be responsible for guiding and mentoring other staff members and will regularly lead technical projects. You have a high level of mastery over software development best practices and building reusable design patterns.
Previous security experience is preferred but not required. We provide all the cybersecurity training you need during onboarding and on-the-job training.
The interview process is approximately as follows:
Phone pre-screening: A recruiter contacts you to briefly discuss your work history and provide an overview of Arctic Wolf. Approximately 30 minutes
Technical assessment: A recruiter may send you a link to a straightforward technical assessment that is relevant to the role you are applying for. Approximately 1 hour
Face-to-face interviews: Several team members conduct two interviews to learn more about you and provide more information about your potential role and team. Be prepared to collaborate on a technical problem and talk more about past projects and your career goals. Approximately 1 hour per interview.
- Conducts duties and responsibilities in accordance with AWN’s Information Security policies, standards, processes and controls to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of AWN business information.
- Background checks are required for this position
Working at Arctic Wolf:
Arctic Wolf recognizes that success comes from delighting our customers, so we work together to ensure that happens every day. We believe in diversity and inclusion, and truly value the unique qualities all employees bring to the organization. And we appreciate that—by protecting people’s and organizations’ sensitive data and aiming to end cyber risk— we get to work in an industry that is fundamental to the greater good.
All wolves receive compelling compensation and benefits packages, including:
- Equity for all employees
- Paid paternity and maternity leave
- Training and career development programs
If you're excited about this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We review all applications and still may consider you the right person for the role or have another open position where you’re the perfect fit.
Arctic Wolf is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.
Arctic Wolf is committed to fostering a welcoming, accessible, respectful, and inclusive environment that ensures equal access and participation for people with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any accommodations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.