About Arc Institute
The Arc Institute is a new scientific institution that conducts curiosity-driven basic science and technology development to understand and treat complex human diseases. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, Arc is an independent research organization founded on the belief that many important research programs will be enabled by new institutional models. Arc operates in partnership with Stanford University, UCSF, and UC Berkeley.
While the prevailing university research model has yielded many tremendous successes, we believe in the importance of institutional experimentation as a way to make progress. These include:
- Funding: Arc will fully fund Core Investigator’s (PI’s) research groups, liberating scientists from the typical constraints of project-based external grants.
- Technology: Biomedical research has become increasingly dependent on complex tooling. Arc Technology Centers develop, optimize and deploy rapidly advancing experimental and computational technologies in collaboration with Core Investigators.
- Support: Arc aims to provide first-class support—operationally, financially and scientifically—that will enable scientists to pursue long-term high risk, high reward research that can meaningfully advance progress in disease cures, including neurodegeneration, cancer, and immune dysfunction.
Arc scaled to nearly 100 people in its first year. With $650M+ in committed funding and a state of the art new lab facility in Palo Alto, Arc will continue to grow quickly to several hundred in the coming years.
About the position
This role sits on the People Operations team and is the face of the team for many of the employees at Arc. From onboarding to programs and partnering with the people across the organization, you’ll have the opportunity to work as part of a high performing team and learn the full HR stack. This position provides practical experience and is a training ground for many different types of roles in the people domain.
You value providing great service experiences and strive to understand the needs of the people you’re supporting. You are highly detail oriented and eager to build new skills related to data and project management. You enjoy working closely with colleagues and look for the best in others.
In this position you will
- Be the first point of contact for employees and managers related to benefits, payroll, systems, programs and more. You will also help to coordinate responses to questions that require input from others on the team.
- Be a welcoming front door to Arc and manage new hire paperwork throughout the onboarding process.
- Maintain accurate employee records in our HRIS and related HR systems, including documenting changes in status and document management.
- Work with our Payroll and Benefits Partners to manage employee benefits enrollment and changes in status.
- Support our program leaders in running our people programs by providing scheduling support, material creation, record keeping, project management and administrative support.
- Manage the day to administration of our COVID policy, including notifications and communication with employees.
- Work with our People Operations team to audit data and ensure our records are accurate.
- Manage swag inventory.
- 1-3 years of experience supporting people operations and/or human resources.
- Detail oriented, you’re able to consistently complete work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong communicator, you’re able to synthesize relevant information and effectively communicate in both written and verbal formats.
- Comfortable with new technology, you’re able to effectively use modern office tools and quickly learn and adapt to new technology systems.
- Service minded, you’re oriented towards creating a positive experience for the people you’re working with and supporting.
- Well organized, you have a system for staying organized and are always looking for ways to improve.
- Adaptive, you are open to change and adapting the way you work based on evolving needs.
- Focused on growth, you’re eager to learn from experience and take an active role in your development.
- Willingness to work onsite in Palo Alto.
The base salary range for this position is $38.40/hr to $41.53/hr. These amounts reflect the range of base salary that the Institute reasonably would expect to pay a new hire or internal candidate for this position. The actual base compensation paid to any individual for this position may vary depending on factors such as experience, market conditions, education/training, skill level, and whether the compensation is internally equitable, and does not include bonuses, commissions, differential pay, other forms of compensation, or benefits. This position is also eligible to receive an annual discretionary bonus, with the amount dependent on individual and institute performance factors.