About Arc Institute
The Arc Institute is a new scientific institution that conducts curiosity-driven basic science and technology development to understand and treat complex human diseases. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, Arc is an independent research organization founded on the belief that many important research programs will be enabled by new institutional models. Arc operates in partnership with Stanford University, UCSF, and UC Berkeley.
While the prevailing university research model has yielded many tremendous successes, we believe in the importance of institutional experimentation as a way to make progress. These include:
- Funding: Arc will fully fund Core Investigator’s (PI’s) research groups, liberating scientists from the typical constraints of project-based external grants.
- Technology: Biomedical research has become increasingly dependent on complex tooling. Arc Technology Centers develop, optimize and deploy rapidly advancing experimental and computational technologies in collaboration with Core Investigators.
- Support: Arc aims to provide first-class support—operationally, financially and scientifically—that will enable scientists to pursue long-term high risk, high reward research that can meaningfully advance progress in disease cures, including neurodegeneration, cancer, and immune dysfunction.
Arc scaled to nearly 100 people in its first year. With $650M+ in committed funding and a state of the art new lab facility in Palo Alto, Arc will continue to grow quickly to several hundred in the coming years.
About the position:
Our team is growing quickly and we are looking for an Office Manager who will support our team of scientists and bring the magic to their day-to-day office needs at Arc.
- As the first point of contact at Arc, you enjoy being the friendly face and helper for guests and employees alike.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment. You work quickly but thoughtfully.
- You are a collaborator. You recognize the value of building relationships and like working with a variety of people to get things done.
- You love ensuring that projects are completed on time and with as little friction as possible. You make this happen by getting into the details, building strong relationships with the stakeholders, and coordinating the steps along the way.
- You are inspired by science. Whether you have worked in biotech or barely know what CRISPR is, you see the transformational potential of biomedical research, and want to contribute to advancing the field with your expertise.
In this position you will:
- Be the face of Arc, greeting new employees and visitors and ensuring their office needs are met
- Own the employee badging process from creation to replacement to return
- Act as the info source of the office, troubleshooting basic tech issues and connecting employees with appropriate Arc resources and teams, where needed
- Oversee and support administrative duties in the office, including maintaining Arc’s shared spaces, owning the mail program and managing Arc’s employee directory
- Create a warm and collaborative environment for scientists and set up social events for employees
- Troubleshoot employee office questions such a basic tech issues
- Maintain office organization and stock systems to include; organizing office operations and procedures, designing filing systems, reviewing and approving supply requisitions, and placing orders as necessary
- Implement office policies and procedures, ensuring they support a collaborative, high growth environment
- Assist with office layout planning and office moves
- Provide other administrative support as necessary, including scheduling group meetings, maintaining calendars, and creating reports
- 3-5 years administrative experience including managing calendars and scheduling meetings
- Previous office management experience in high growth environment
- Passion for organization with ability to dive into the details and anticipate employee needs
- Proficient with standard office software
- Experience in highly collaborative environment, working closely with key partners in Operations, HR, Recruiting and Facilities
- A calm and positive energy in the face of ambiguity, shifting priorities, and rapid change
- A problem-solver by nature where no issue is too big or too small and you get great satisfaction solving employee’s needs
- Love of bringing people together via social events or shared experiences to ensure they collaborate and learn from each other
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- As the face of Arc, a willingness to work onsite (in Palo Alto, CA) five days per week during standard business hours.
The base salary range for this position is $31.00/hr to $50.00/hr. These amounts reflect the range of base salary that the Institute reasonably would expect to pay a new hire or internal candidate for this position. The actual base compensation paid to any individual for this position may vary depending on factors such as experience, market conditions, education/training, skill level, and whether the compensation is internally equitable, and does not include bonuses, commissions, differential pay, other forms of compensation, or benefits. This position is also eligible to receive an annual discretionary bonus, with the amount dependent on individual and institute performance factors.