About Arc Institute
The Arc Institute is a new scientific institution that conducts curiosity-driven basic science and technology development to understand and treat complex human diseases. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, Arc is an independent research organization founded on the belief that many important research programs will be enabled by new institutional models. Arc operates in partnership with Stanford University, UCSF, and UC Berkeley.
While the prevailing university research model has yielded many tremendous successes, we believe in the importance of institutional experimentation as a way to make progress. These include:
- Funding: Arc will fully fund Core Investigator’s (PI’s) research groups, liberating scientists from the typical constraints of project-based external grants.
- Technology: Biomedical research has become increasingly dependent on complex tooling. Arc Technology Centers develop, optimize and deploy rapidly advancing experimental and computational technologies in collaboration with Core Investigators.
- Support: Arc aims to provide first-class support—operationally, financially and scientifically—that will enable scientists to pursue long-term high risk, high reward research that can meaningfully advance progress in disease cures, including neurodegeneration, cancer, and immune dysfunction.
- Culture: We believe that culture matters enormously in science and that excellence is difficult to sustain. We aim to create a culture that is focused on scientific curiosity, a deep commitment to truth, broad ambition, and selfless collaboration.
With $650M in committed funding, the vision in the first 2-3 years is to grow to a team of roughly 150 team members, with plans for further significant growth over the decade ahead.
About the position
We are looking for a Senior Research Associate to join our Genome Engineering Technology Center to develop and execute high-throughput biology workflows. You will work closely with Scientists in the Technology Center to establish and operate automated workflows for building and purifying DNA reagents, expressing and purifying proteins and characterizing editing systems. These automated workflows will be a key enabling technology for Arc Technology Centers and Core Investigators in support of Arc’s mission to understand and treat complex genetic disease. In addition you will work closely with Technology Center scientists on projects, providing support for general lab operations and automated workflows.
The ideal candidate will have experience with molecular biology techniques and lab automation including liquid-handling robotics and a track record developing, troubleshooting and running high-throughput biology protocols with exceptional attention to detail.
This is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated and curious researcher interested in the intersection of basic research and biotech product development. Title and compensation will be competitive with industry jobs relative to experience level and background.
- Work closely with Tech Center scientists to establish, troubleshoot and run automated workflows for the production and purification of DNA and protein reagents
- Run automated workflows on a regular basis ensuring quality standards are met and samples are accurately tracked and recorded
- Work with scientists to develop and execute data analysis pipelines using Python, R or other data tools
- Support scientists on Tech Center research projects with conventional molecular biology and biochemistry experiments and high-throughput workflows as needed
- Report progress and present data in internal and external meetings
- BS/MS or equivalent professional experience in genomics, molecular biology, biochemistry, biology or related field
- 5+ years of relevant post-graduate experience, preferably in the biotechnology / pharmaceutical industry
- Experience troubleshooting general molecular biology protocols such as PCR and plasmid purification
- Experience running and troubleshooting lab automation scripts on liquid handling robots from Tecan, Hamilton, Beckman or similar
- Experience analyzing large data sets preferably using data scripting tools such as Python or R
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong drive for excellence and a self-starter attitude
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment and be a team player
The base salary range for this position is $81,000 to $105,000. These amounts reflect the range of base salary that the Institute reasonably would expect to pay a new hire or internal candidate for this position. The actual compensation paid to any individual for this position may vary depending on factors such as experience, internal equity, market conditions, education/training, and skill level, and does not include bonuses, commissions, differential pay, other forms of compensation, or benefits.