About Arc Institute
The Arc Institute is a new scientific institution that conducts curiosity-driven basic science and technology development to understand and treat complex human diseases. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, Arc is an independent research organization founded on the belief that many important research programs will be enabled by new institutional models. Arc operates in partnership with Stanford University, UCSF, and UC Berkeley.
While the prevailing university research model has yielded many tremendous successes, we believe in the importance of institutional experimentation as a way to make progress. These include:
- Funding: Arc will fully fund Core Investigator’s (PI’s) research groups, liberating scientists from the typical constraints of project-based external grants.
- Technology: Biomedical research has become increasingly dependent on complex tooling. Arc Technology Centers develop, optimize and deploy rapidly advancing experimental and computational technologies in collaboration with Core Investigators.
- Support: Arc aims to provide first-class support—operationally, financially and scientifically—that will enable scientists to pursue long-term high risk, high reward research that can meaningfully advance progress in disease cures, including neurodegeneration, cancer, and immune dysfunction.
- Culture: We believe that culture matters enormously in science and that excellence is difficult to sustain. We aim to create a culture that is focused on scientific curiosity, a deep commitment to truth, broad ambition, and selfless collaboration.
With $650M in committed funding, the vision in the first 2-3 years is to grow to a team of roughly 150 team members, with plans for further significant growth over the decade ahead.
About the position:
We are looking for a highly motivated, well-organized, and technically proficient Senior Research Associate to join our newly founded Multi-Omics Technology Center. In this role, you will report to the Associate Director of the Genome Platform, work independently and collaboratively with members of the Technology Centers and the core investigator labs, support the daily genomics operations, and contribute to the in-house development of multi-omic technologies. Compensation will be competitive with industry jobs relative to experience level and background.
- Perform standard sample processing, library prep and NGS sequencing workflow
- Perform experiments to optimize NGS assays
- Perform sample management, evaluation of sample quality, library construction, library quality evaluation and submission
- Work with scientists to explore, evaluate and run proof of concept genomics technologies and assays and generate data
- Help to implement a LIMS system for sample tracking and data collection
- Carry out process improvement of data generation workflows and procedures
- Train graduate students and junior RAs on various protocols and help to troubleshoot experiments
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook
- Write, update, and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Effectively document and communicate results and progress
- BS/MS or equivalent professional experience in genomics, molecular biology, biochemistry, biology or related field
- 5+ years of relevant post-graduate experience, preferably in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
- Hands-on experience with basic molecular biology and QC techniques (e.g., DNA/RNA purification, PCR/RT-PCR, Bioanalyzer, Qubit, etc.) required
- Familiarity with genomics, NGS (in particular the Illumina platform) required
- Experience with single-cell RNA-sequencing using the 10XGenomics or other platform is a plus
- Experience with processing mammalian cells and tissues is a plus
- Experience with LIMS/ELN systems is a plus
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong drive for excellence and self-starter attitude
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to troubleshoot technical issues
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player
The base salary range for this position is $81,000 to $105,000. These amounts reflect the range of base salary that the Institute reasonably would expect to pay a new hire or internal candidate for this position. The actual base compensation paid to any individual for this position may vary depending on factors such as experience, internal equity, market conditions, education/training, and skill level, and does not include bonuses, commissions, differential pay, other forms of compensation, or benefits. This position is also eligible to receive an annual discretionary bonus, with the amount dependent on individual and institute performance factors.