About Arc Institute
The Arc Institute is a new scientific institution that conducts curiosity-driven basic science and technology development to understand and treat complex human diseases. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, Arc is an independent research organization founded on the belief that many important research programs will be enabled by new institutional models. Arc operates in partnership with Stanford University, UCSF, and UC Berkeley.
While the prevailing university research model has yielded many tremendous successes, we believe in the importance of institutional experimentation as a way to make progress. These include:
- Funding: Arc will fully fund Core Investigator’s (PI’s) research groups, liberating scientists from the typical constraints of project-based external grants.
- Technology: Biomedical research has become increasingly dependent on complex tooling. Arc Technology Centers develop, optimize and deploy rapidly advancing experimental and computational technologies in collaboration with Core Investigators.
- Support: Arc aims to provide first-class support—operationally, financially and scientifically—that will enable scientists to pursue long-term high risk, high reward research that can meaningfully advance progress in disease cures, including neurodegeneration, cancer, and immune dysfunction.
- Culture: We believe that culture matters enormously in science and that excellence is difficult to sustain. We aim to create a culture that is focused on scientific curiosity, a deep commitment to truth, broad ambition, and selfless collaboration.
With $650M in committed funding, the vision in the next 2-3 years is to grow to a team of roughly 250 team members from 75+ currently, with plans for further significant growth over the decade ahead.
About the position
As Arc’s Head of Recruiting, you’ll oversee our recruiting process, translating business needs into creative recruiting strategies. You’ll offer strategic recruiting leadership by growing and managing the recruiting team, refining a scalable recruitment process, and meeting Arc’s ambitious hiring goals.
In this position you will
- Design & implement a strategic recruiting process to meet Arc’s ambitious hiring goals.
- Implement best in class recruiting systems and tools, offering unique insights to Arc’s hiring managers and leadership team via metrics.
- Build strong relationships with Arc leaders and finance to forecast hiring needs, and consult on recruiting strategies.
- Hire a best in class recruiting team, supporting hiring managers across functions, including Scientists, Tech and Operations leaders.
- Coach and inspire recruiting team members to set quarterly goals and meet or exceed hiring targets, while growing and developing.
- Drive accountability for an efficient, scalable recruiting process at Arc.
- Leverage data to inform decision making and influence recruiting strategy.
- Create a differentiated and memorable candidate experience.
- 8+ years of experience in talent acquisition.
- 4+ years of experience leading a recruiting team in a fast-paced, scaling organization.
- Deep expertise in aligning talent strategies with business priorities & ramping up on Arc’s unique operating model.
- Passion for identifying and engaging diverse and qualified top talent in the market.
- Skilled influencer with ability to form strong relationships across all levels and functions at Arc.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to design solutions in an ambiguous environment.
- Bias for action with ability to lead both tactically and strategically.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build programs, processes, and metrics in a scaling organization.
- A little humor.
Note: This position requires someone to be onsite in Palo Alto, CA 2-3 days a week.