About Arc Institute
The Arc Institute is a new scientific institution that conducts curiosity-driven basic science and technology development to understand and treat complex human diseases. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, Arc is an independent research organization founded on the belief that many important research programs will be enabled by new institutional models. Arc operates in partnership with Stanford University, UCSF, and UC Berkeley.
While the prevailing university research model has yielded many tremendous successes, we believe in the importance of institutional experimentation as a way to make progress. These include:
- Funding: Arc will fully fund Core Investigator’s (PI’s) research groups, liberating scientists from the typical constraints of project-based external grants.
- Technology: Biomedical research has become increasingly dependent on complex tooling. Arc Technology Centers develop, optimize and deploy rapidly advancing experimental and computational technologies in collaboration with Core Investigators.
- Support: Arc aims to provide first-class support—operationally, financially and scientifically—that will enable scientists to pursue long-term high risk, high reward research that can meaningfully advance progress in disease cures, including neurodegeneration, cancer, and immune dysfunction.
- Culture: We believe that culture matters enormously in science and that excellence is difficult to sustain. We aim to create a culture that is focused on scientific curiosity, a deep commitment to truth, broad ambition, and selfless collaboration.
With $650M in committed funding, the vision is to grow from 70 people currently to a team of 200-300 people in the first 2-3 years.
About the position
The University Relations & Academic Affairs Program Manager is a key member of the University Relations & Academic Affairs team. In this role, you will provide strategic and administrative support to the team as well as Arc scientists and lab members. You will help establish processes for our work with university partners and take the lead on several internal initiatives. You will be responsible for coordinating various events, managing quarterly meetings with various university partners, and developing communications for internal and external projects. The Program Manager works in collaboration with members of the operations team and reports to the Head of University Relations & Academic Affairs.
Success in the position requires the ability to juggle multiple priorities in a high-growth environment and strong project management skills. The Program Manager uses independent judgment in decision-making and employs strong communication, problem-solving and organizational skills. She/he/they is mission-oriented and has an excitement for propelling science through partnerships.
In this position you will
- Act as a thought partner to the Head of University Relations & Academic Affairs
- Interface with Arc’s university partners on a variety of issues, e.g., facilities access, coordinated faculty searches, student support issues.
- Create and implement forums for connection amongst researchers, including coordinating Arc’s research seminar series
- Assist with the development, implementation and management of several initiatives, including Arc’s Institute-Affiliated Investigator and PhD Fellowship programs
- Manage timelines, communications and logistics for programs
- Assess efficacy and success of programs, providing feedback and suggestions for improvement
- Maintain Arc’s internal database for students, ensuring all information is accurate and up to date
- 5+ years experience in an administrative role (preferably in an academic setting but not required)
- Experience designing and executing programs that scale
- Proven experience acting as a trusted and effective partner, internally and externally
- Superior communication and writing skills
- Passionate about working in a highly collaborative environment, partnering closely with faculty and all of Arc’s Ops teams (e.g., People/HR, Lab Operations)
- Solution-oriented and adept at navigating shifting priorities and rapid change in a growing organization
- Highly organized and detail-oriented