Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world!
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype is looking for a passionate, experienced, and collaborative Senior Gameplay Designer to help us build an outstanding game-of-the-year RPG. In this role, you will be responsible for some of the game’s moment-to-moment gameplay mechanics and systems, driving them from concept all the way to ship, specifically for combat.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience building awesome gameplay on other AAA titles, understand the intricacies of how to make a player’s action feel incredible, and be excited about the opportunity to work on a new IP from the get-go.
What You'll Do
- Own and drive core gameplay systems such as weapons, abilities, progression, player movement, cameras, and AI from concept to ship
- Collaborate with the team, ensuring relevant partners are involved and advised throughout development
- Create compelling moment-to-moment gameplay that is Game-of-the-Year caliber and that inspires the team to achieve the same high quality
- Build and maintain documentation for all owned features
- Regularly play the game, providing constructive feedback and suggestions to other members of the team
- Remain up to date on industry trends and competitor games
What You'll Bring
- 5+ years of experience in Gameplay and/or Systems Design
- At least 1 shipped AAA titles with significant contributions on successful gameplay/combat features or mechanics
- Must have expertise in at least 2 of the following: controls, player movement, weapons, abilities, cameras, AI, melee, vehicles, progression, game balance, exploration mechanics
- Experience working in Unreal or other modern game engines
- Experience tuning complex systems (ex – aim assist, camera systems, AI Behavior trees, overall game balance, progression and RPG mechanics)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, able to push features forward but also know when to ask for guidance or help
- Experience with level design, encounter design, or layouts
- Experience with difficulty systems
- Experience working on new IP from the start
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.