Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
We’re looking for an outstanding Lead Technical Artist to join us on an exciting unannounced science fiction game! You'll head up a team building the art tools and pipelines required for a AAA game based on the latest Unreal technology. As a leader you will partner with the Art Director to prioritize and architect the tools our cross-discipline artists will use to make our games.
As a developer you are a specialist in your field, combining artistic skill with technical know-how in programming or scripting. You bring a breadth of knowledge that ideally covers several of the artistic fields needed to build compelling visuals in engine. You understand the importance of art workflows and pipelines on the efficiency of an art team and understand emerging trends and technologies in video game content.
If you have experience both as an artist and technologist we'd love to tell you more about what we're working on!
What You'll Do:
- Coordinate internal R&D for Art tools, production pipelines, and content creation.
- Lead and mentor other Tech Artists on the team.
- Partner with the Production Art Director in building a strategy and schedule for tools and pipeline construction. Collaborate with the rendering team to define art-related performance targets and budgets, and supervise the creation of tools to measure progress.
- Work hands-on to build and develop new Art tools.
- Analyze tool usage by the Art team to refine and streamline processes.
- Identify new tools and technologies to improve content production.
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years experience in Art tool and pipeline creation for interactive entertainment.
- Broad knowledge across several art subject areas, including environment, character, VFX, UX, lighting, shading, and rendering.
- Technical experience with tool-related programming and scripting.
- Thorough understanding of video game development, art processes, and production pipelines.
- Experience with Unreal engine is ideal.
- Experience leading, developing, and mentoring and inspiring a technical team to create outstanding art tools.
- Ability to foster a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- College education or equivalent experience in related arts and technical field (CS, engineering, programming, scripting).
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.