Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks a passionate, experienced, and team-oriented Gameplay Design Lead or Director to help us build an outstanding Game-of-the-Year RPG. In this role, you will be responsible for leading all aspects of, and helping to build moment-to-moment gameplay mechanics and systems, driving them from concept all the way to ship.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience leading teams and building amazing gameplay in other AAA titles, understand the intricacies of how to make a player’s action feel awesome, and be excited about the opportunity to work on a new IP from the get-go.
What You'll Do
- Own and drive the core combat and gameplay systems for our new IP
- Build and iterate on core combat systems such as weapons, abilities, player movement, cameras, and AI from inception to launch
- Collaborate with other teams, and ensure the appropriate stakeholders are involved and informed throughout development
- Act as a strong quality advocate for the team, crafting compelling moment-to-moment gameplay that is Game-of-the-Year caliber, and help other team members achieve the same high quality
- Lead and develop a team of Gameplay/Combat Designers, inspiring and empowering them to do great work
- Build and maintain documentation for all owned features
- Help evangelize the game’s vision to the rest of the team at large
- Provide constructive feedback to team members
- You remain current with industry trends and competitor games
What You'll Bring
- 10+ years as a Combat or Gameplay Designer, min. 2 shipped AAA titles, 1 as a Lead
- University/college degree in related field or equivalent
- Extensive knowledge of:
- Controls, player movement, weapons, abilities, cameras, AI, melee, vehicles, progression, game balance, exploration mechanics
- Experience working in Unreal or other modern game engines
- Experience tuning complex systems (ex – aim assist, AI Behavior trees, overall game balance)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated - you are able to push features forward but also know when to ask for guidance or help!
- Bonus Modifiers:
- Experience with level design, encounter design, or layouts
- Experience with progression and difficulty systems
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.