Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment is looking for a passionate, experienced, and collaborative Lead Technical Designer to help us build an amazing game-of-the-year caliber RPG. In this role, you will lead and manage a team of Tech Designers that will be tasked with helping to architect gameplay systems, mechanics, features, and tools.
The ideal candidate will have built high-quality content as a designer, be a strong collaborator that enjoys working across disciplines, have a strong technical background, and be comfortable writing code and script.
What You'll Do
- Oversee and help build design systems, features, tools, and processes
- Help develop best practices for design content creation
- Proactively seek out and resolve bottlenecks to improve efficiency and empower the design team to build outstanding high-quality and bug-free content
- Collaborate with other disciplines and departments, ensuring relevant partners are involved and advised throughout development
- Act as a strong quality advocate for team, crafting content that is game-of-the-year caliber and helping others on the team achieve the same high quality
- Help evangelize the game’s vision to the rest of the team at large
- Regularly play the game, providing constructive feedback and suggestions
- Remain up to date on industry trends and competitor games
What You'll Bring
- 5+ years of experience as a Lead Technical Designer / Technical Design Director with at least 2 shipped AAA titles
- Experience working in and technical proficiency with Unreal Editor
- Programming and scripting experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, able to push something forward but also know when to ask for guidance or help
- Experience with gameplay mechanics, AI, or building set pieces
- Experience working on new IP from the beginning
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.