Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks a passionate, experienced, and collaborative Gameplay Animator to help us build an amazing, game-of-the-year caliber RPG! In this role, you will create both creature and character animation for in-game systems. Gameplay animators at Archetype work closely with programming and design to not only build amazing animation, but to also outstanding and satisfying gameplay.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about gameplay animation and possess expertise in body mechanics and keyframing techniques. A solid understanding of game engine state machines and animation implementation is also a must.
What You'll Do
- Create quality animation assets using motion capture and keyframe animation
- Implement, maintain, and debug animation systems
- Create high quality game mechanics, systems, and characters
- Provide an animator’s perspective during multi-disciplinary meetings
- Assist with running XSENS motion capture shoots at the office
- Think creatively to find systemic solutions that push animation fidelity and/or increase efficiency
- Help improve animation pipelines and tools
- Anticipate and recognize potential conflicts or production issues and recommend solutions
What You'll Bring
- 2+ years of experience as a Gameplay Animator
- Experience working with mocap data and technology
- Experience creating lifelike biped animation
- Experience animating creatures and inanimate objects
- Outstanding creativity and curiosity
- Experience working in Unreal or other AAA game engines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, can perform duties with little oversight
- Extra Credit:
- High level blueprint/state machine experience in Unreal
- Experience animating cameras and with cinematography
- Maya tool scripting and tools experience
- Experience with motion capture directing and acting
- Experience developing 3rd person action games
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.