Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are assembling a development team with world-class talent to build a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-focused roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-focused roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks a highly technical Lead Cinematic Designer with experience in developing complex, choice-based cinematic scenes. To join an unannounced project.
Candidates should have the knowledge required to lead, plan, build, and supervise the assembly of complex cinematic scenes with branching dialogue trees. This role requires a cinematic eye for blocking, camera placement, and actor staging. Additionally, it requires a deep understanding of branching dialogue systems, excellent communication skills, and the ability to responsibly plan for a large number of scenes.
What You'll Do
- Lead the creation of all cinematic scenes that include complex branching dialogue.
- Contribute to all planning and resourcing discussions for the game’s cinematics.
- Spearhead the design of cinematic tools for branching dialogue systems.
- Work closely with artists and the cinematic director to iterate and polish scenes.
- Manage and mentor a team of cinematic designers to ensure consistency and quality.
What You'll Bring
- 5 +years of experience in digital game development as a Cinematic Designer
- Experience leading a team, building consensus, and offering constructive critique
- Self-motivation, strong communication skills, and a great team-player
- An exceptional understanding of cinematic pacing, staging, and camera work
- Intimate understanding of industry-standard cinematic tools and practices
- Demonstrates responsible planning strategies and clear management capabilities
- Able to clearly communicate with Animators and Artists
- Able to effectively collaborate with Game Designers and Software Developers
- Proven problem-solving and prototyping ability
- A passion for story-focused roleplaying games
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.