Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks a passionate, experienced, and collaborative Principal Level Designer to help us build an outstanding game-of-the-year caliber RPG! In this role, you will be responsible for owning and building major environments and all content within, driving them from concept all the way to ship!
The ideal candidate will have significant experience building outstanding levels in other AAA titles that showcase immersive environments, compelling storytelling, and exciting encounters, and be excited about the opportunity to work on a new IP from the get-go.
What You'll Do
- Design and build engaging environments for our new IP
- Help setup and script gameplay content in levels including events, encounters, and interactions
- Ensure all levels flow well and are well paced through proper mix of storytelling, exploration, and encounter design
- Collaborate with the team, ensuring relevant partners are involved and advised throughout development
- Serve as a champion for quality, producing work that is Game-of-the-Year caliber and that inspires the team
- Build and maintain documentation for all owned environments
- Help evangelize the game’s vision
- Regularly play the game, providing constructive feedback and suggestions to other members of the team
- Remain up to date on industry trends and competitor games
What You'll Bring
- 10+ years of experience as a Level Designer / World Builder with at least 3 shipped AAA digital game titles
- Deep understanding of how to craft and build environments that support combat, traversal, and narrative
- Experience working in Unreal, other modern game engine, or Maya
- Experience scripting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, able to push features forward but also know when to ask for mentorship or help
- Extra Credit:
- Experience with gameplay mechanics, progression, or AI
- Experience working on a new project from the beginning
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.