Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks a passionate, experienced, and collaborative Principal Gameplay/Combat Designer to help us build an outstanding game-of-the-year caliber RPG! In this role, you will be responsible for owning and building major gameplay systems and mechanics, driving them from concept all the way to ship!
The ideal candidate will have significant experience building outstanding gameplay content and systems in other AAA titles, understand the intricacies of how to make a player’s action feel great, and be excited about the opportunity to work on a new IP from the get-go.
What You'll Do
- Own, architect, and drive major combat and gameplay systems for our new IP
- Build and iterate on core combat systems such as weapons, abilities, player movement, cameras, and AI
- Collaborate with the team, ensuring relevant partners are involved and advised throughout development
- Serve as a champion for quality, producing work that is Game-of-the-Year caliber and that inspires the team
- Build and maintain documentation for all owned features
- Help evangelize the game’s vision
- Regularly play the game, providing constructive feedback and suggestions to other members of the team
- Remain up to date on industry trends and competitor games
What You'll Bring
- 10+ years experience as a Combat or Gameplay Designer with at least 3 shipped AAA titles
- Extensive knowledge of the following:
- Controls, player movement, weapons, abilities, cameras, AI, melee, vehicles, progression, game balance, exploration mechanics
- Experience working in Unreal or other modern game engine
- Experience tuning sophisticated systems (ex – aim assist, AI Behavior trees, overall game balance)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, able to push features forward but also know when to ask for mentorship or help
- Extra Credit:
- Experience with level design, encounter design, or layouts
- Experience with progression and difficulty systems
- Experience working on a new project from the beginning
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.