Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop and test high voltage, high power density motors for eVTOL applications.
- Responsible for all aspects of the mechanical design of the electric motor: Rotor and Stator.
- Analysis and optimization of the motor design using FEA for mechanical modeling, thermal modeling, acoustics and vibration.
- Support validating results through dynamometer testing.
- Design test equipment, such as dynamometers, testing fixtures, etc.
- Ownership through all stages of development from concept, design, testing, validation, and production release and support.
- Continuously evaluate new technologies and design improvements to develop the most power dense, efficient and reliable electric motor.
- Rapid prototyping of conceptual designs.
- Generate design packages – detailed drawings, analysis reports, BOMs, assembly instructions
- Assist with generating vital technical documents for the mechanical team (including technical component specifications, prototype test plan, statement of work for sourcing components, and assembly instruction manuals).
- Integration of motor and controller components.
What you need:
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5+ years or MS with 3+ years of experience in related fields
- Completed at least one full cycle from paper requirements to a finished product.
- Expert in NX or other CAD packages.
- Strong fundamental understanding of physics (Materials, Heat transfer, free body diagrams, etc.)
- Proficient at mechanical tolerance stackup analysis and expert knowledge of GD&T
- Familiarity with python, matlab or other scripting languages
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Expert experience with electric motors (including surface and interior permanent magnet motors) in the 50kW-200kW range with speeds up to 25,000 RPM
- Experience with electric motor assembly and tooling design
- Experience with high voltage systems
- Familiarity with gearbox selection or design
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. We drive a pay-for-performance culture and reward performance that supports the Company’s business strategy. For this position we are targeting a base pay between $148,000 - 185,000. Actual compensation offered will be determined by factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.