Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
As a member of our System Safety team you will report to the Manager of Safety, Reliability, and Maintainability, and will help define and apply the safety standards for our first certified aircraft. You will help us overcome the challenge of providing airline-like levels of safety while offering urban air transportation at a price accessible to all, setting the bar for the entire nascent advanced air mobility industry.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with various engineering disciplines to design high-reliability, safety-critical systems for an electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft
- Take ownership of the safety requirements and safety assessments of one or more vehicle systems
- Participate in the definition of safety requirements and safety assessments at the vehicle level
- Represent System Safety in multi-disciplinary decision making and regulatory compliance activities under supervision of leadership
- Contribute to the System Safety processes and work methods
- Participate in regulatory compliance planning and demonstration activities under supervision of team leadership and the Certification and Test organization
What you need
- 5+ years experience as System Safety Engineer
- Experience with multiple types of systems commonly used on civil aircraft
- Experience performing multiple types of safety analyses commonly used in civil aviation
- Experience creating, validating, and verifying system-level safety requirements
- Experience being personally accountable for one or more safety activities on a civil aircraft certification program
- Knowledge of civil aviation standards, practices, and regulations
- BS, MS, or PhD in engineering or a related technical degree
- Collaborative mindset
- Excellent technical writing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Passion for learning and problem solving
- Experience with NX, Solidworks, CATIA, or similar CAD tool, for conducting drawing and 3D model reviews
- Experience conducting physical aircraft installation examination and inspections
- Experience working on type certification of an aircraft from start to finish under 14 CFR Part 23 or Part 27
- Worked on different phases of ARP4754A development programs
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. We drive a pay-for-performance culture and reward performance that supports the Company’s business strategy. For this position we are targeting a base pay between $148,000 - 175,000. Actual compensation offered will be determined by factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.