Archer is an aerospace company based in Palo Alto, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for the fast charging and cooling equipment necessary for high throughput operation of Archer’s energy and power dense battery system powering our FAA type certified eVTOL airtaxi
- Develop the charging infrastructure to enable efficient conversion and distribution of high voltage DC power for charging Archer’s aircraft
- Develop the cooling infrastructure to provide fast charge thermal management during charge of Archer’s battery pack
- Perform trade off analysis of design options to balance performance, cost, and local regulations.
- Evaluate industry regulations, standards, and trends to determine the appropriate charge interface per market location
- Work with the business development team to create the strategy for deployment of Archer’s charging network at scale
- Develop charging algorithms to enable optimal battery energy throughput and turnaround time
- Work closely with the battery pack mechanical, electrical, and thermal teams to understand the charging and cooling requirements necessary
- Work with the air vehicle, operations, and styling team to optimize charging optics and chargeport styling
- Guide the procurement, build, and testing of power conversion and cooling equipment including setting up equipment and performing characterization tests
What You Need
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years or MS with 8+ years of experience in related fields
- Experience with high voltage DC fast charging standards and deployment at scale
- Experience with electric vehicle thermal management systems
- Working knowledge of IEC, NEC, UL installed electrical infrastructure regulations
- Experience with supplier contract negotiations, state/county/city government offices, and utility operators.
- Electrical integration experience including communications standards (CANbus, PLC, PWM), electrical circuit analysis, high voltage safety, and oscilloscope and signal analyzer usage.
- Experience in CAD software (Siemens NX, CATIA V5/6), Thermal CFD analysis software (Fluent, Start-CCM+) and MBD tools (MATLAB, Amesim)
- Experience with charging specific heat transfer design solutions (liquid cooling, forced convection)
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- eVTOL experience
- FAA certification experience
- Experience in launching product (start to finish)