Who we are:
Archer is an aerospace company based in Palo Alto, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What you’ll do:
- Specify, design, develop and test the battery management systems (BMS) for the energy storage system that will power Archer eVTOL aircraft
- Help define and then follow streamlined hardware development and verification processes complying with DO-254 to support the certification of safety critical hardware.
- Drive the resolution of cross-functional issues including those related to architecture (performance, power consumption, thermal behavior), development (schematic design, PCB layout and overall system integration), and production (quality, failure analysis, manufacturing, cost).
- Develop electronic control boards for battery cell measurement and battery management with a start-to-finish ownership of hardware – from requirements to design, development, verification, and manufacturing
- In charge of schematic, layout and PCB assembly design and review
- Design and carry out prototype verification tests for proof of concept
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if the design meets functional and performance requirements
- Troubleshoot and help root cause any issues that occur in the prototype line
- Collaborate with our multi-disciplinary engineering team
What you need:
- 5+ years experience developing high voltage electronic hardware for battery management systems
- BS or MS Degree in Electrical Engineering/Embedded/Computer Hardware Engineering
- Strong EE fundamentals in electronic circuit design/development with microcontroller-based embedded system
- Experience in using schematic capture (e.g. Altium Designer or Xpedition) and circuit simulation software
- Proficient PCB layout experience is strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of battery gauging algorithms and how hardware design decisions influence SOC and SOH accuracy
- Experience with board layout and designing circuits for operation in EMI environments such as automotive, military or similar environments
- Experience with high density and high reliability PCBA interconnection design
- Solid understanding of size, weight, power, processing and cost constraints needed by real-time, embedded avionics platforms
- Good knowledge of inter-module communications protocols
- Experience with configuring and testing battery management circuits / systems
- Experience working with high voltage systems
- Master of all types of lab instruments: oscilloscope, data acquisition systems, etc.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Experience developing and successfully certifying safety critical hardware to DO-254 DAL-A or B
- Hands on experience with DO-160G and DO-311A
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering
- Embedded firmware development experience
- Passion for aviation and eVTOLs
Archer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.