Arcana is seeking to change the Web3 investing landscape. The company is building the datasets, analysis tools and investor process infrastructure to enable institutional investors to approach crypto seriously as an asset class. Today, almost all data/analysis tools in the space provide information that is backward looking, non-standardized across assets or not objective. Arcana is fundamentally leveling-up the crypto investing process with a unique approach to data sourcing and analyst infrastructure.
The company’s $5.3M seed round was led by FTX, Duquesne (Stan Druckenmiller), Tiger Global, Abstract Ventures, CMS Holdings, GoldenTree Asset Management, Floating Point Group (institutional crypto exchange), Kevin Hu (GP Dragonfly), Ryan Roslansky (CEO LinkedIn), Sandeep Nailwal (Cofounder Polygon), Akshay Kothari (COO Notion), Santiago Santos, Folius, Sean Pi (Cofounder Skolem) and many other strategic angels.
What we're looking for
We are looking for the first data scientist to join the founding team at Arcana. This person will work closely with the founders, financial analysts, product managers, and engineers to build datasets that enable institutional investors to understand the web3 landscape. That requires handling the large swaths of structured blockchain data generated by the data engineering team, as well as defining and building investment relevant metrics to be exposed directly to our customers through our product offerings. For those who are curious and passionate about web3/blockchain technologies, this is a great opportunity to work at an extremely well-capitalized startup with a proven team of senior financial and tech industry talent to build the future of web3 investing tools.
- Work with large and complex blockchain data sets and derive investment relevant metrics in close partnership with financial analysts and blockchain engineers.
- Apply knowledge of statistics, programming, data modeling, simulation, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make valuable discoveries leading to the development of fundamental metrics needed to evaluate various crypto assets.
- Build a strong understanding of existing metrics used to value various decentralised applications and protocols.
- Build customer facing metrics and dashboards.
- Work closely with analysts, engineers, Product Managers and provide feedback as we develop our data analytics and research platform.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, a relevant technical field, or equivalent practical experience (or) degree in an analytical field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Management Science)
- 3+ years experience with data analysis and metrics development
- 3+ years experience analyzing and interpreting data, drawing conclusions, defining recommended actions, and reporting results across stakeholders
- 2+ years experience writing SQL queries
- 2+ years experience scripting in Python
- Demonstrated curiosity in and excitement for Web3/blockchain technologies
- Interested in learning new technologies to solve customer needs with lots of creative freedom
- Strong communication skills and business acumen
- Self-starter, motivated by an interest for developing the best possible solutions to problems
- Experience with Google Cloud - Bigquery, DataBricks stack, DBT, Tableu, Jupyter is a plus
- Competitive salary
- Ownership in the company: equity options
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options (Arcana covers 100%)
- Unlimited paid time off vacation policy
- Complete office set up with latest technology: M1 MacBook Pro, 4K Monitors
- Fun weekly team building events
The founding team have strong experience at top tier tech & hedge fund firms:
- Rich Falk-Wallace (CEO) was most recently a Portfolio Manager at Citadel running a large portfolio and team of seven investment analysts and associates, before which he worked in senior roles at Viking Global ($30B AUM), and Silver Point Capital ($10B), and began his career in investment banking at JPMorgan after graduating from Columbia in Economics.
- Siva Sooriyan was most recently a Director of Engineering at LinkedIn, where he was the head of the Video, Live, Stories, Events & Conferencing teams running a large engineering organisation; before LinkedIn, he graduated from Carnegie Mellon with an MS in IT, and has worked in eBay & IBM.