Who we are
Arcadia is the technology company empowering energy innovators and consumers to fight the climate crisis. Our software and APIs are revolutionizing an industry held back by outdated systems and institutions by creating unprecedented access to the data and clean energy needed to make a decarbonized energy grid possible.
In 2014, Arcadia set out on its mission to break the fossil fuel monopoly and since then we have been knocking down the institutional barriers to unlock decarbonization. To date, we have connected hundreds of thousands of consumers and small businesses with high-quality clean energy options. Fast forward to today, and now, we’re thinking even bigger. We have launched Arc, an industry-defining SaaS platform that empowers developers and energy innovators to deliver their own custom, personalized energy experiences, accelerating the transformation of the industry from an analog energy system into a digitized information network.
Tackling one of the world’s biggest challenges requires out-of-the-box thinking & diverse perspectives. We’re building a team of individuals from different backgrounds, industries, & educational experiences. If you share our passion for ushering in the era of the clean electron, we look forward to learning what you would uniquely bring to Arcadia! Visit www.arcadia.com.
HQ: Washington, DC
$1.5B valuation; $380M funding to date
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a thoughtful, empathetic, and driven Department Manager to grow, organize, and lead 4-6 engineering managers responsible for building mission-critical products & services. The right candidate will deeply commit to championing team members -- removing roadblocks, advocating for their needs, and enabling their personal/professional growth & development -- while leading them to continuously navigate complex engineering problems, architect scalable solutions, and deliver significant software into production. If you’re equally excited to have an impact on game-changing software that is expanding renewable energy access to millions of households across the country, as well as the lives and careers of the people who build it, we encourage you to apply.
Our core stack includes several Java, Python, and Ruby on Rails apps; a GraphQL service layer; and a number of React clients. We also have a data pipeline that relies heavily on AWS Lambdas running Python.. Our infrastructure is based on Kubernetes running on AWS.
It is an exceptional opportunity for someone who relishes the chance to engage with cutting-edge technology, influence how our team builds and stays relevant, and work in a fast-paced environment with engineers on a high-morale, tightly-knit team. Our engineering values are deeply ingrained in our culture-- you can read more about them here.
What you'll do:
- Empower, guide, and maximize a team of mission-driven engineering managers and engineers to solve challenging problems in the energy industry by building using cutting-edge technology
- Collaborate with Engineering leadership and cross-functional partners (including Product, Design, Marketing, Operations, SRE, IT) to establish roadmaps and strategy that help serve and grow the business
- Represent engineering-driven considerations to ensure all stakeholder groups are aligned on company priorities, expectations, and contingencies
- Contribute to technical development and discussions as necessary to ensure the team is building technology that scales and meets the business needs
- Provide both ongoing support and mentorship to direct reports, strategically aligning their skills, interests, and career aspirations with business needs; defining, streamlining, and guiding the projects they work on; and both initiating and inviting conversations around performance, development, and morale
- Deliver results in the fast-paced environment of a growing startup while always treating team members and colleagues with empathy & humanity
- Be point on collaborating with the product team to bring in transparency to the ongoing roadmap and projects.
- Be responsible for providing status updates and keeping the US pillar leader informed on the progress made in the department at Chennai
What will help you succeed:
- 4+ years of team lead or engineering management experience
- Proven track record of effectively developing direct reports through continual feedback and goal-setting, and growing them through the ranks of an engineering organization
- Experience with performance management of a department that comprises of multiple squads or PODs
- Experience working in a captive model or onsite/offshore model collaborating with a global leadership team
- Potential and experience leading other managers (Manager of managers)
- Advanced understanding of modern software development practices and methodologies, and the ability to roll up your sleeves and contribute when necessary
- Experience directly working on or managing teams working on production systems and high-volume applications
- Experience successfully navigating the relationship between Engineering, Product, and Design teams
- Experience working with other cross functional teams like Operations, SRE, IT and Customer success
- Experience collaboration, mentoring, learning from other engineers, and treating colleagues with empathy and respect
- Ability and internal drive to problem-solve, both creatively and pragmatically
- Ability to scope, prioritize, and deliver on project commitments
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and drive a clean-energy future
- Experience with the programming languages we use:
- Experience with infrastructure found in our stack:
- Postgres or similar relational database
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience and comfort navigating both the technical and people scalability challenges faced at startups undergoing rapid growth & product adoption
- Ability to weigh budget, speed, and other variables in buy/build/borrow decisions
- Experience establishing and executing roadmaps
- Background in the energy space or related field
- Competitive compensation based on market standards
- We are operating on a hybrid model on a roster with remote first policy
- Apart from Fixed Base Salary potential candidates are eligible for following benefits
- Flexible Leave Policy
- Office is Located in the heart of the cCity in case you need to step in for any purpose
- Medical Insurance (1+5 Family Members)
- Flexible Benefit Plan
- Awards and Bonus
- Annual performance cycle
- Quarterly engagement activities
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. While we are currently unable to consider candidates who will require visa sponsorship, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.