Join a mashup of energy enthusiasts and creative tech wizards who are taking the fight to climate change. Disrupt and reimagine the energy experience using modern technologies.
Arcadia is a technology company revolutionizing the energy industry. We make choosing clean energy easy for everyone, no matter where you live or who your utility provider is. Founded in 2015, Arcadia set out with one purpose that continues to drive us today: a 100% clean energy future.
As the Senior Engineering Manager for Data Engineering, you will directly contribute to democratizing access to clean energy by guiding the teams that build the foundation of our platform. You’ll focus heavily on maximizing the effectiveness of your team by growing individuals on the team and building scalable, world-class software.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a thoughtful, empathetic, and driven Senior Engineering Manager to grow, organize, and coach 5-7 engineers responsible for building mission-critical services. The right candidate will deeply commit to championing team members -- removing roadblocks, advocating for their needs, and enabling their personal/professional growth & development -- while leading them to continuously navigate complex engineering problems, architect scalable solutions, and deliver significant software into production.
Our core stack includes several Ruby on Rails apps, a GraphQL service layer, and a number of React clients. We also have a data pipeline that relies heavily on AWS Lambdas running Python. Our infrastructure is primarily AWS-based, using Cloudformation, and deployed to EKS using best CI/CD practices.
We are prioritizing hiring for our D.C. and NYC offices, but we are open to fully remote candidates residing in CA, CO, DC, GA, IL, MD, NJ, NM, NY, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, or WA. This role is an exceptional opportunity for someone who relishes the chance to engage with cutting-edge technology, influence how our team builds and stays relevant, and work in a fast-paced environment with engineers on a high-morale, tightly-knit team. Our engineering values are deeply ingrained in our culture-- you can read more about them here.
What you'll do:
- Empower, guide, and maximize a team of mission-driven engineers to solve challenging problems in the energy industry by building cutting-edge technology
- Collaborate with Engineering leadership and cross-functional partners (including Product, Analytics, Finance, and Marketing) to establish roadmaps and strategy that help serve and grow the business
- Manage data pipelines from disparate sources, standardizing and feeding them into our centralized data warehouse
- Work with both the Engineering and Analytics & Data Science teams to optimize data flow and queries for large data sets to improve scalability
- Sync data across internal and external systems, such as marketing and sales automation tools, to enable key stakeholders to build best-in-class experiences
- Support ongoing efforts to establish and enforce best practices on data quality, use, and security across the company
- Represent engineering-driven considerations to ensure all stakeholder groups are aligned on company priorities, expectations, and contingencies
- Contribute to technical development and discussions as necessary to ensure the team is building technology that scales and meets the business needs
- Provide both ongoing support and mentorship to direct reports, strategically aligning their skills, interests, and career aspirations with business needs; defining, streamlining, and guiding the projects they work on; and both initiating and inviting conversations around performance, development, and morale
- Deliver results in the fast-paced environment of a growing startup while always treating team members and colleagues with empathy & humanity
What will help you succeed:
- 4+ years of team lead or engineering management experience
- Proven track record of effectively developing direct reports through continual feedback and goal-setting, and growing them through the ranks of an engineering organization
- Advanced understanding of modern software development practices and methodologies, and the ability to roll up your sleeves and contribute when necessary
- Experience directly working on or managing teams working on production systems and high-volume applications
- Experience successfully navigating the relationship between Engineering, Product, and Data Analytics teams
- Experience collaborating, mentoring, learning from other engineers, and treating colleagues with empathy and respect
- Ability and internal drive to problem-solve, both creatively and pragmatically
- Ability to scope, prioritize, and deliver on project commitments
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and drive a clean-energy future
- Experience with tools our data team manages:
- RDS, Aurora, DyanmoDB, Lambda, S3, EKS
- Experience with infrastructure found in our stack:
- Postgres or similar relational database
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with the programming languages we use:
- Experience and comfort navigating both the technical and people scalability challenges faced at startups undergoing rapid growth & product adoption
- Ability to weigh budget, speed, and other variables in buy/build/borrow decisions
- Experience establishing and executing roadmaps
- Background in the energy space or related field
- Market-based compensation (salary + equity)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Paid Time Off (holidays, vacation, professional development, volunteer, parental leave)
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
- Professional development opportunities
- All-company lunches
- Free clean energy
- A chance to decarbonize and disrupt the energy sector
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. While we are currently unable to consider candidates who will require visa sponsorship, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.