Join a mashup of energy enthusiasts and creative tech wizards who are taking the fight to climate change. Disrupt and reimagine the energy experience using modern technologies.
Arcadia is a technology company revolutionizing the energy industry. We make choosing clean energy easy for everyone, no matter where you live or who your utility provider is. Founded in 2015, Arcadia set out with one purpose that continues to drive us today: a 100% clean energy future.
As a Software Engineer, you will directly contribute to democratizing access to clean energy by building the technology that makes it happen, and the data services that support intuitive user experiences. You’ll work across the back-end stack, contribute to scalable systems, and dive headfirst into technical material. In doing so, you will unlock a more human relationship with energy; accelerating everyone’s agency to choose renewables, and hopefully stabilize our climate before it’s too late.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a resourceful, versatile Software Engineer to join the Utility Data team and work on the critical web scraping, ingestion, & data processing projects that enable the Arcadia platform, products, and services. The ideal candidate is a low-ego team player who approaches engineering problems and potential solutions with a unique, holistic, and long-term perspective, and is genuinely excited to build the software expanding renewable energy access to millions of households across the country. We’re looking for an inquisitive, analytical problem-solver who possesses both grit and flexibility -- our work often involves implementing unconventional solutions and requires someone who’s not afraid to explore new domains when previous methods fail, sort through minute details, or find non-engineering ways around a problem. This person must be comfortable with iterating towards a solution and collaborating closely with colleagues in Product, SRE, Data Engineering, and Analytics along the way.
This role is based in Washington, D.C., or New York, NY, and is an exceptional opportunity for someone who relishes the chance to engage with cutting-edge technology, influence how our team builds and stays relevant, and work in a fast-paced environment with engineers on a high-morale, tightly knit team. Our engineering values are deeply ingrained in our culture-- you can read more about them here.
Our Utility Data process uses an event-driven architecture that makes heavy use of Python-based AWS Lambda functions, SQS, and other Python services running on EKS.
What you’ll do:
- Write and refactor code to help Arcadia efficiently collect and utilize data
- Partner with Product, SRE, Data Engineering, and Analytics to deliver the best possible product for our members and enterprise partners
- Design and develop robust, scalable back-end systems
- Build and maintain complex data pipelines to parse and standardize large amounts of data that enable our unique energy products
- Frequently deploy new functionality to production with a streamlined CI/CD pipeline
- Explore new technologies with an open-minded team
- Increase test coverage and reliability and help troubleshoot production issues
- Collaborate frequently with other engineers, give thoughtful code review, and mentor junior engineers
- Notice and speak up about opportunities to improve both the member and developer experience
What will help you succeed:
The following list reflects our current technology stack-- you’ll need to have some overlapping or analogous experience, but not necessarily an exact match.
- 3+ years of experience in a software engineering role
- Experience with the programming languages we use:
- Experience with infrastructure found in our stack:
- Postgres or similar relational database
- AWS (Lambda, SQS, etc.)
- Comfortable managing the balance between shipping code quickly and shipping perfect code
- Ability and internal drive to problem-solve, both creatively and pragmatically
- Skill with mentoring and learning from other engineers, and treating colleagues with respect
- Ability to scope, prioritize, and deliver on project commitments
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and drive a clean-energy future
- Market-based compensation (salary + equity)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, and 401(k)
- Paid Time Off (holidays, vacation, professional development, volunteer, parental leave)
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
- Professional development opportunities
- All-company lunches
- Free clean energy
- A chance to decarbonize and disrupt the energy sector
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. While we are currently unable to consider candidates who will require visa sponsorship, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.