About AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver concrete, long-term results by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. By putting theory into practice, we have become a leader in alternative strategies and an innovator in traditional portfolio management since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration, and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
The Internship Program
AQR’s 10 – week PhD internship experience features a summer-long research project under the guidance of mentors and senior managers, along with participation in Quanta Academy Summer Term: a structured learning program consisting of educational, skill – building and networking events. Learning is the cornerstone of our culture and plays an active role in the internship experience — through daily collaboration and interaction with employees across all levels, participation in workshops and classes, and most significantly by working on research projects that matter to the many clients we serve. The PhD internship offers an opportunity to become familiar with quantitative asset management and the investment philosophy which drives AQR.
AQR Capital Management is seeking talented PhD researchers to join our team of professionals and focus on our proprietary strategies related to global stock selection, asset allocation, risk management and trading.
Candidates should be motivated and enthusiastic about implementing new ideas and are expected to be hands-on and self-sufficient in conducting all aspects of research projects. The role will involve collaboration with other researchers, portfolio managers, risk managers and traders to develop new and improve current investment strategies. Your responsibilities may include, but are not limited to
- Perform statistical and economic research using financial data to develop new, and improve current investment strategies in collaboration with existing research teams
- Conduct research on various aspects of the implementation of investment strategies such as trading cost models, risk models, optimization, and portfolio construction
- Add features to proprietary research system to implement new research ideas
What You’ll Bring
- PhD candidate from top program with degree in scientific or quantitative discipline; Finance, Economics, Operations Research, Applied Math, Statistics preferred
- Internship is ideally suited for candidates in the final or penultimate year of their PhD program
- Demonstrated interest in the financial industry
- Experience conducting empirical research and analyzing with large data sets
- Strong background in econometrics or statistics; knowledge of optimization is preferred
- Experience programming in MATLAB or similar tools; Python experience a plus
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong presentation skills and ability to discuss and explain involved concepts in both verbal and written form
Who You Are
- Mature and thoughtful, with the ability to thrive within a collaborative, team-oriented culture
- Committed to intellectual integrity, with a high degree of ethics
- Hard-working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, innovative environment
- Well-organized, detail-oriented; able to multi-task and keep track of various deadlines
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY