AQR Capital Management
AQR is a global investment firm built at the intersection of financial theory and practical application. We strive to deliver concrete, long-term results by looking past market noise to identify and isolate the factors that matter most, and by developing ideas that stand up to rigorous testing. By putting theory into practice, we have become a leader in alternative strategies and an innovator in traditional portfolio management since 1998.
At AQR, our employees share a common spirit of academic excellence, intellectual honesty and an unwavering commitment to seeking the truth. We’re determined to know what makes financial markets tick – and we’ll ask every question and challenge every assumption. We recognize and respect the power of collaboration, and believe transparency and openness to new ideas leads to innovation.
The Internship Program
AQR’s 10 – week internship experience features the Quanta Academy Summer Term, a structured learning program consisting of educational, skill–building and networking events. Learning is the cornerstone of our culture and plays an active role in the internship experience — through daily collaboration and interaction with employees at all levels, in workshops and classes, and most significantly by working on projects that matter to the many clients we serve.
The Portfolio Finance team consists of highly dynamic and multi-faceted professionals with extensive experience at both buy-side and sell-side firms. As one of the most recently formed and actively growing departments at AQR, Portfolio Finance has three primary responsibilities:
- Optimizing the traditional and synthetic financing utilization of the firm across all the breath of asset classes traded by the firm, including associated collateral requirements, instrument types (i.e., derivatives or securities), and investment strategies
- Investing and portfolio management of domestic and foreign, cash and cash-equivalent instruments
- Managing AQR’s critical relationships and numerous touchpoints with the largest firms on Wall Street
Each of these functions are central to the excellence and continued success of AQR and provides on-going opportunities to work closely with external counterparties as well as a diverse array of internal departments including Portfolio Management, Trading, Business Development, Risk Management, Engineering, Legal, and Operations.
Our team is looking for an exceptionally talented summer intern for our Portfolio Finance team. This dedicated analyst will be bright, eager to learn, and possess strong client facing and analytical skills. This analyst will gain exposure to all areas of the firm by attending internal and external client meetings regularly. In addition, they will have the opportunity to help with a combination of shorter-term tactical projects and a summer-long strategic project. Below are examples of projects completed by previous interns:
- Built a tactical repository where benchmark interest rates and spreads used by brokers are readily accessible for groups at the firm
- Assisted in coordinating firm-wide project to implement new trade allocation logic
- Standardized relationship management functionality and created a centralized location for counterparty interactions
- Analyzed pricing terms to assist in broker negotiations
- Investigated broker inefficiencies for the group that saved the firm over $200k.
- Researched multi-currency cash investment options.
What You’ll Bring
- An undergraduate student graduating in December 2020 or May 2021
- Hard working and eager to learn in a highly intellectual, collaborative environment
- Must be self-motivated and work effectively as part of the team
- Strong problem solving and quantitative skills
- Attention to detail and excellent communication skills
- Strong analytical skills. Proficiency in Excel is a plus
AQR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/VET/DISABILITY