Apto Payments is transforming the card issuance industry. We help companies issue new kinds of cards with a better cardholder experience by removing constraints and enabling new use cases. Founded in 2014 as Shift Payments, the company worked with Coinbase to launch the first Bitcoin debit card. Today, as Apto, our mission is ambitious, creating new ways to connect people to their assets - crypto and non-crypto - by helping companies successfully launch innovative, user-centric card programs.
Apto is a well funded early stage startup, headquartered in San Francisco. We are focused on growing our business in a responsible way, building best-in-class products while managing regulatory and financial risk. We're motivated to empower developers and customers to design and build the next generation of can’t-live-without card products. Our headquarters are in San Francisco, but we have fully embraced and are constantly improving our remote-focused culture.
The Role & Opportunity
We are looking for a Backend Engineering Manager to help build the future of payments by developing our microservices-based backend that powers our native apps and runs real-time authorization logic for major financial institutions. Our tech stack is Python, Postgres and various AWS services such as Lambdas, API Gateway, GraphQL/Appsync, and QLDB. You will lead a team of 3-5 engineers and spend time mentoring, coaching other engineers in a matrixed organization. You will have a lot of latitude to accomplish your job, and have daily access to support from senior leadership.
You are a motivated, proactive and curious Backend Engineering Manager that wants to own more of the backend stack. You know what you are good at and you are a life-long learner to ensure you deliver the best possible experience to our stakeholders.
You also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of backend development experience in mission critical systems with progressive leadership/management responsibilities
- 4+ years of experience with cloud computing such as AWS
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- A deep understanding of API development with HTTP, REST, and JSON
- Demonstrated experience with design and architecture of microservices
- Experience with unit testing frameworks
- Proficiency with a code versioning tool such as Git
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills; able to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners.
- Competitive salary and equity
- 401k and unlimited PTO
- Fully-paid healthcare for you and dependents
- Stipend for ongoing professional development
- Work with a diverse team of impact-driven individuals
- Opportunity to build solutions for millions of people around the world
- Hybrid work environment - Ability to work from a local office (if we have one) or remote depending on location. Take an in-person meeting when it's more efficient, and skip the commute when it's not needed.
*Note that, pursuant to the Company's COVID-19 mitigation protocols, individuals must be fully vaccinated upon commencing employment, subject to legally required exemptions.
Prospective Talent and Job Applicant Privacy Notice *
When you apply to a job on this site, any personal data you provide, or which is collected as part of this process, will be processed by Apto Payments in order to manage its recruitment and hiring related activities. Under European data protection laws, your rights may include the right to access, port, erase, restrict, rectify or object to the processing of your personal data or where we rely on consent, the right to withdraw that consent.
California Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Apto Payments is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together “job applicants”) about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. This applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA such as:
- Personal and online identifiers (such as first and last name, email address, or unique online identifiers)
- Categories of information described in Section 1798.80(e) of the California Civil Code (such as physical characteristics or description, social security number, driver’s license or state identification number, address, insurance policy number, and bank account number)
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (such as race or gender)
- Professional or employment-related information
- Education information
- Other information about you that is linked to the personal information above