We see a future where it’s easy to bring a great idea into the world using the internet, while respecting data security and privacy. The next generation of businesses will design security and privacy into their operating processes. If every business is going to be a software business, every business will need to be a security business.
We’re working to make information security a core competency of every startup. We envision a world in which startups have access to great information security, are empowered to focus on their businesses instead of on compliance, can scale faster and more efficiently, and are confident that they're creating quality products.
We wrote the Aptible Owner's Manual to help members of the company get a clear sense of what this team is — what we mean by “us.” We've now made this open to the world and invite you to read it, as a prospective member of the Aptible Team.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We prioritize diversity within our team and value different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
About this Role
We're looking for a Software Engineer to help build and make Aptible the best security management platform for startups.
This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Aptible Team. You'll be designing and developing tools that help our customers improve their security posture.
Please note that we're hiring for all senior levels within Engineering. If you're a Senior, Staff, Principal, etc. Software Engineer, we'd love to hear from you.
- You'll design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve Aptible Comply.
- You'll autonomously manage and own individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables within an application or service.
- You’ll scope and implement project-level solutions with minimal guidance.
- You’ll collaborate and pair frequently with teammates and peers.
- You'll inform the product roadmap and implementation decisions based on feasibility.
- You'll ensure that our product is maintainable, meaning that other engineers are able to contribute new functionality easily, and without frequent technical debt.
- You'll partner with Product and Design to effectively plan new features, avoiding bottlenecks and maximizing velocity when it comes time to implement.
- Ability to Design to Constraints: You can produce a design to achieve a goal (e.g. “the user needs to see this particular piece of information here”). Your designs should be performant, maintainable, for years, not months, and evolvable.
- Desire to Improve: You seek to understand why things are the way they are, and think about ways to make them better.
- Product Sense: You seek to understand the features you're working on, and actively propose positive changes.
- Desire to Learn Our Tools: You seek and have the ability to learn the tools we use today, and the new tools we might use tomorrow. Knowledge of what we use today is a plus. Tools: Rails, Postgres, React, Redux, Typescript.
- Team Player: You provide clear, useful documentation to other engineers and enjoy mentoring team members.
- User Focused: You have experience building and scaling web applications with real users.
- Work from Anywhere: Enjoy the flexibility of working from home, a local co-working space, or your favorite coffee shop.
- Open Vacation Policy: We encourage you to take the time you need, when you need it — for any holiday or matter of personal importance.
- Paid Parental Leave: We offer job-protected Paid Time Off — 14 Weeks, Fully Paid — for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance: We offer comprehensive health care for employees, with 100% of premiums paid by Aptible.
- Hardware & Software: We help you create your ideal office setup and provide any software you’ll need.
- Company Travel: We come together in-person at least two to three times per year, in locations around the globe.
Our Interview Process
We seek to make the experience of interviewing with us as delightful, efficient, fair, respectful, and transparent as possible.
A typical process at Aptible might include the following steps, and takes approximately 3 Weeks to complete. We try to move as quickly as possible, but if you have any time constraints, please let us know and we'll do our best to accommodate.
1) An Introduction to Aptible with the Hiring Manager (30 Minutes via Zoom)
2) A Discussion-Based Interview with an Aptible Team Member (45-60 Minutes via Zoom)
3) A Take-Home Work Sample Exercise (NB: You will be compensated for completing this.)
4) A Discussion-Based Interview with an Aptible Team Member (45-60 Minutes via Zoom)
We believe that the Work Sample Exercise is an important part of the process, in that it gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your skills in a concrete way. We take the time to design these exercises such that they: a) give you a view into the actual work you'd do at Aptible, and b) are standardized, so every candidate is evaluated using the same criteria.
Lastly, Aptible conducts calls with 3-4 References, ideally managers who have directly supervised you in the past and/or colleagues who can speak to your work.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form, and we will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.