NOTE: Candidates must be US citizens/Permanent Residents located in NY, CA, WA or TX or be willing to relocate
Who Is AppSumo
AppSumo is the tech powerhouse you’ve probably never heard of. We’ve helped launch MailChimp, Evernote, and Dropbox (to name a few) — over 1,500 startups have come through our doors and become household names in software. (Learn more about us here!)
Our motto? The tools you need to run your business shouldn’t put you out of business. And we’re committed to bringing our community the absolute best deals on software. With thousands of successful product launches and over a million entrepreneurs served, we’re looking to take AppSumo to the next level.
That’s where you, the Engineering Manager, come in.
About This Role
This job is all about coaching, mentoring, and shaping our engineering team as it grows. In this role, you’ll work directly with the Head of Engineering to help drive the talented engineers responsible for the success of our e-commerce platform. As the Engineering Manager, you’re in charge of developing internal processes for consistency, quality in code, and documentation, all of which directly impact the daily work of our engineers. You’ll be integral to the direction and operations of our long-term strategies and guide our team towards a unified mission.
Your responsibilities will involve:
- Leading a small team of engineers on best practices for architecture, coding, and delivery
- Conducting in-depth code reviews each week
- Splitting your time 80:20 between managing and making individual contributions—our team works best when everyone is close to the code!
- Mentoring engineers in their day-to-day work as well as future career goals
- Conducting regular 1:1 meetings and performance reviews
- Prioritizing and planning the work of the team alongside your engineers and product manager
- Collaborating with the team to define and execute our roadmap
- Working with our product and design team to deeply understand and communicate the needs of our users
- Designing and building software to proactively solve problems in a permanent, scalable way
This is a unique role best suited for someone who has had a taste of leadership. A skilled Engineering Manager can fearlessly run point on feature development, delegate tasks, and use their broad expertise to elevate our team with empathy and humility.
Our ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of hands-on engineering experience, preferably with an e-commerce SaaS/PaaS company
- 1+ years of experience coaching and managing other engineers
- Experience owning an entire feature from start to finish
- While this role is remote, there is a preference for future teammates based in the Austin, TX area
In your first six months, success means learning the code base and shipping out three meaningful features to the AppSumo website.
Who Thrives at AppSumo
Every company is unique, and we want to make sure we’re a good fit for you. Here’s who we’re looking for:
- You’re resourceful and seek creative solutions when faced with obstacles
- You get sh*t done — results > Powerpoints
- You love to learn. If you geek out over tech and design after hours, you’ll fit right in
- You don’t take yourself too seriously — save your blazer for your cousin’s wedding
- You like to get your hands dirty — good leadership means rolling up your sleeves
Pay & Benefits
We provide a competitive compensation and benefits package. Due to the coronavirus, our team is remaining remote through the summer of 2021, and it is currently optional to go into our Austin office.
When at the office, you’ll be equipped with a standing desk, a monitor, and any other tech you need to feel productive. Oh, and you can bring your dog to work. We love your dog :)
In addition, we offer a stocked fridge, any snacks you want, and (once we’re allowed outside again) two all-expenses paid company trips with the team to the local Sheraton — just kidding: last year, we went to an all-inclusive resort in Costa Rica; you can check it out here.
At AppSumo, we treat all of our teammates like adults and trust that when you have something to do, you’ll get it done. If you need to run an errand, hit the gym, or meet a friend for lunch, you’re encouraged to do so. You can work from home as often as you need to, and you’ll have unlimited vacation days to go on adventures. (Everyone says it, but we mean it: We expect you to take time for yourself.)
We’re committed to creating a diverse, supportive, and collaborative working environment — every person we bring onto the team helps cultivate a culture that we’re proud of.
Up for the challenge? Let’s do this :)