Appnovation helps brands thrive through innovative, people-inspired experiences and solutions. By embracing the powerful combination of technology and agility, we seamlessly integrate strategy, experience, design, development and analytics.
We create standout digital experiences by collaborating with brands to understand the individual challenges and goals for every initiative. Focusing on our clients’ customers, we effectively combine empathy, evidence and real-world insight so that solutions are derived from truth and meaning. Appnovation is an award-winning team dedicated to inspiring possibility.
Technology is foundational to all of Appnovation’s offerings, from consulting to digital innovation, to digital product and service creation. The technology department is focused on delivering software solutions that enable rich consumer experiences, from mobile and web applications to advanced analytics and machine learning, to content and engagement management service enablement platforms.
Inherent throughout our tech capabilities is deep expertise in the Software Development Life Cycle, a drive for creativity, a passion for the craft, and collaboration with other disciplines - all foundational ingredients in successful digital experiences and client partnerships.
As Director, you will oversee a cross-functional team of quality assurance, performance, security and DevOps practitioners assuming a hands-on role as necessary. You will be responsible for managing and mentoring your team, providing senior leadership, consulting and support for all related matters.
You shall provide expertise equally across Agile Delivery, Software Quality and Operations providing confidence that quality requirements will be fulfilled; actively focusing on defect prevention, i.e. “shift left” to ensure fit for purpose and right the first-time principles, increasingly leveraging tooling and automation.
YOU WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Provide relevant thought leadership to prospects and customers
- Partner, build relationships and become a trusted advisor to Appnovation’s customers, business development team, client services leadership teams and senior leadership
- Contribute to growth by actively contributing to new business activity, statement of work (scope, deliverables and effort estimations) and project delivery
- Articulate and advocate industry and department best practices
- Plan and manage multiple concurrent clients, projects and teams (including outsourced development partners) through client acceptance based on client and/or Appnovation delivery methodologies
- Define, implement and direct the adherence of Appnovation’s (and client where applicable) standards, patterns and practices to ensure the highest degree of software quality
- Establish and manage performance of the department, provide coaching, mentoring and management support and management of career goals
- Stay current with technology and industry best practices to ensure that skill set/knowledge base remains broad and current
- Create knowledge base articles for marketing, case studies, whitepapers and to share experiences with broader Appnovation team
- Ensure technology standards, patterns and practices are understood and implemented by all teams and partners
- Support and advocate for ongoing internal knowledge capture and sharing
- Educate staff members through ongoing training and individual support
WHO YOU ARE:
- You have customer first mindset and a devotion to customer service
- You engage and build positive internal and external client relationships, while managing multiple initiatives, often with competing priorities
- You have strong inter-personal, communication and collaboration skills with the ability to work, influence and make an impact in a cross-functional environment with all levels of the organization
- You have solid analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- You have a demonstrated ability to drive to clear action and ownership amongst large teams
- You have an eye for talent and a history of building high performance teams
- You set high standards for technology quality, performance/scalability and security through KPIs (e.g. velocity) and seek continuous improvement
- You like to roll up your sleeves to lead, motivate, enable, inspire and grow a team of diverse, high-performing, highly skilled, passionate creative engineers in pursuit of software excellence
- You actively seek out things outside your comfort zone
- You have excellent communication Skills
- Experience in customer facing roles is required
- You have creative/design, product and/or marketing fluency
- You have previous experience working at an agency, technology studio or consulting firm
- You have previous experience with Governance, PMO, Change Management, ITIL,
- You have previous experience with ISO 9000, ISO 27001, SOC2, PCI DSS, COBIT, OWASP ASVS Level 2
- You have previous experience with privacy considerations, policies and regulations (e.g. HIPAA, PHIPA, PIPEDA, CASL, GDPR)
- Certifications in Product Owner, Scrum Master, Agile Coach, Lean Six Sigma and/or Software Testing (e.g. ISTQB)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, business (ideally marketing focus) or equivalent (Masters or MBA preferred)
- 10+ years of web and/or mobile development experience
- 7+ years of leading, managing and mentoring distributed teams
- Expert knowledge of quality assurance discipline, software quality management (strategy, planning and execution), frameworks, tools and utilities
- Expert knowledge in building verification and validation practices into end to end delivery pipelines from business development through delivery phase to accelerate product launch to market. Techniques consist of but are not limited to unit testing, functional requirement testing, performance testing, GUI testing, regression testing, integration testing, system load testing, vulnerability assessments, security testing and test automation