Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionise the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As a Manager on our User Experience Team, you will define and enforce development processes that prioritise creating a great user experience for our new features. You will ensure that Designers understand our users’ needs and are empowered to advocate on their behalf.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Share thoughtful rationale regarding user, business and technical aspects for all design decisions
- Deliver comprehensive end to end solutions to all solutions (including ambiguous cases)
- Demonstrate capability to lead user research and usability research activities
- Collaborate with product managers and stakeholders to identify UX priorities in service of company goals. Recommend team staffing options to best support priorities
- Develop practices and artefacts to standardise repeatable processes for new feature UX design and validation
- Create and deliver UX education materials to promote usability best practices for engineers, consultants, partners, and customers
- Personally support the efforts of one or more squads by providing UX consultations and reviews
- Understand the user requirements and competitive landscape for new initiatives. Use research findings to inform feature designs
- Provide expertise through design critiques and knowledge sharing to junior designers
- Promote the growth of the UX team by supporting one or more UX team initiatives
- Deliver timely and complete UX designs for assigned features on one or more squads
- Manage the UX scope of assigned new feature initiation projects, working with stakeholders and POs to refine designs, concluding with presentation of feature vision mockups
- Own the UX vision for specific initiatives within a tribe. Help define the long term roadmap, understand current gaps, and enforce consistency as new features are built
- Formalise and document UX best practices for internal feature development and external usage of product capabilities
- Manage up to 5 junior or experienced UX Designers
- Provide career mentorship for direct reports
- Lead by example in contributing to a culture of learning and growth
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field; advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years of relevant management/technical experience (e.g., Quality, Test, Performance, or Software Engineer); experience as a mentor or manager strongly desired
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.