Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
About our Group:
Our group’s (Designer Simplicity) mission is to simplify the app design and development experience of our Designer tool. Appian Designer is used internally and by our customers to build powerful, user-friendly and enterprise-scale cloud-native and mobile applications. Our mission is to simplify the complex and make it even faster to build and maintain apps.
Our group’s work focuses on three key areas
- We are refreshing the Designer tool experience to better keep developers in the flow as they are developing an app
- We are making it easier to more quickly understand an application's functionality and components so that developers can make updates more rapidly
- We are improving the DevOps capabilities within Designer to empower development teams to build, test, deploy, and monitor applications quickly and confidently
Building an app development experience that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast and flexible.
We work in a highly-collaborative environment with Product and Design to help make Appian developers more productive and efficient. We don’t just write code, we actively participate in conversations on how best to make the Appian low-code development experience more intuitive.
About this Role:
As a full-stack software engineer in our Designer Simplicity Group you will be helping to build the next generation of our Designer tool. Your work will span across all parts of our stack -- front and back-end. You will mentor and guide other engineers by reviewing their code and by being a sounding board to others. We work in small, decentralized teams, each with decision-making authority that gives us the freedom to choose our own approach in how we solve problems.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Be a tinkerer at heart with an innate ability to solve tough programming problems
- Possess excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack Java & web technology environment, including but not limited to Gradle, JDBC, Hibernate, Spring, Kafka, Quartz, Messaging, Redis, Elasticsearch, Typescript, Redux and React
- Utilize both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development
- Troubleshoot, investigate and diagnose incidents using a combination of tracing, alerting and log analysis
- Be a strong contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- BS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of relevant experience
- You are an efficient and elegant coder, with 2+ years of strong experience
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.