Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As an experienced Senior Software Engineer at Appian you will help build automation (RPA) into the next generation of our core low-code application development platform and help tackle our most challenging technical problems alongside other brilliant engineers.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack Java & web technology environment, including but not limited to Spring, JPA, JDBC, Hibernate, React, Gradle, and Git.
- Utilize both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively.
- Manage availability, latency, scalability, and efficiency of the product by designing reliability into software and systems.
- Be a strong contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations.
- Mentor others & perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability and velocity.
- Thrive on solving labyrinthine problems within large, high-performance, real-time, distributed data systems
- Agile is your mantra and quality is your goal; be a tinkerer at heart with an innate ability to solve tough system problems
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Within your first few weeks of joining us, you will attend new hire orientation along with our 2-day engineering bootcamp to ensure you are set up for success
- Access to over 1,000+ Udemy course, along with dedicated learning time to focus on areas you specifically would like to focus on as a programmer
- An agile-led work environment where you will be challenged and your ideas will be heard
- You have 5+ years experience building and delivering enterprise grade software applications
- You hold a BS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of experience writing code in a modern programming language (Java/React preferred)
- You are able to demonstrate an understanding of systems, algorithms, OO design, and REST API design.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.