Here at Appian, we’re passionate about technology. We love making it, and we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration and is committed to personal and professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, and in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
As a Senior Software Engineer working on the Appian platform, your mission will be to build new end-user functionality that makes Appian a joy to use and make our customers productive.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Leverage knowledge of best coding practices, and design patterns to write elegant and readable code for a web and mobile environment.
- Apply thoughtful interactive and visual design principles for a positive and cohesive user experience.
- Contribute strongly to team feature breakdowns/sizing and design of new feature implementations.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design and implementation.
- Build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring and performance. optimizations on a regular basis and champion these efforts within the team.
- Share advanced knowledge regularly on a team and occasionally with others in the department; build a reputation as a key resource in those areas.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
- Contribute to Appian's long-term documentation through publishing relevant, high-quality content to Engineering's technical documentation site.
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- Dedicated Learning Time. Over 3,000 LinkedIn Learning and Udemy courses, and tuition reimbursement for external educational programs.
- Engineering IndieTime & annual hackathons. We value activities that get the creative juices flowing and inspire innovation.
- Immersion into our community. Our affinity groups are a great place to connect and grow.
- Hybrid and flexible working hours.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field/degree
- MS in Computer Science or related field/degree
- Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment
- Preferably skilled in Java
- Preferred Experience Level: BS and 3+ years of relevant professional experience
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.