The Appian Solution Engineering team provides technical expertise to our customers around the globe, touching every layer of the Appian platform. From data analysis to creative problem solving, our Solution Engineers tackle the most challenging technical problems encountered by Appian customers and partners.
We are looking for a Director of Solution Engineering with experience leading technical teams, strong analytical skills, superb customer management skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across departments. The Director of Solution Engineering leads the department responsible for both managing and monitoring customer applications running on Appian Cloud and providing world-class technical support to Appian’s customers and partners.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Manage, develop and mentor a team of Solution Engineering Managers (each managing teams of 3-6 Solution Engineers) that are responsible for the maintenance, monitoring and incident response for Appian Cloud environments, and for providing technical support to customers across the development, deployment and production of Appian platform and solutions
- Manage your team's capacity, growth, organisational structure and day-to-day operations. Ensure standards for service levels are being met. Ensure adherence to policies and procedures, while exercising good judgment on “scope/availability of support” exceptions
- Work closely with the global leadership team on strategic initiatives as we scale our teams. Drive continuous improvement of systems, training and processes to scale our operations and to increase customer and employee satisfaction; Report on case data for accounts, develop training materials, etc.
- Build trusted relationships with key customers in the region and advocate for their needs within the organisation
- Prioritise and manage critical incidents and escalations. Develop action plans for issue resolution and coordinate efforts across departments (Engineering, Customer Success & Sales) and provide support to team members on incident response and root cause analysis. Lead communications with internal and external stakeholders
- Identify customer pain themes and communicate to appropriate department leadership with ideas/proposals for improvement
- Partner with our Talent Acquisition team to find and hire top talent within your region. Oversee successful onboarding and enablement of new Solution Engineers
- Foster a strong team environment focused on advanced technical knowledge, effective collaboration, customer service excellence and positive customer outcomes
- Provide ongoing professional development and career counselling to team members. Provide leadership through coaching, feedback, development goals and performance management
- Ensure team members are recognised for their contributions to customer and team success
- Gather and act on employee feedback through open door policies, regular 1:1s and bi-annual employee surveys
- Perform HR management tasks for team members including quarterly check-ins, promotion evaluations, salary adjustments, expense and time-off approvals, etc.
- Flexibility to provide weekend/after business hours support to on-call engineers (rotation every 10-15 weeks)
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field of study (STEM) or similar professional work experience
- 10+ years of experience leading technical teams. Proven ability to coach and mentor technical staff
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise with enterprise software platforms (SAAS/PAAS)
- Excellent problem solving skills and talent for identifying creative solutions
- Ability to interact and collaborate with colleagues at all technical & business levels
- Exceptional communication, customer service and presentation skills
- Passion for the customer experience, positive outlook with a proactive mindset and an ability to drive exceptional customer satisfaction results
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.