The Appian People Operations & Payroll Team is seeking a Senior Payroll Specialist to support the exciting growth we're experiencing. We're looking for someone to support our US and International Payroll operations.
Are you a highly organized team player with the ability to work in a fast paced environment while maintaining special attention to detail? Do you have a passion for process improvement that allows you to make necessary changes that sets your team up for success? This could be the job for you!
Duties may include and are not limited to data entry, processing payroll, performing reconciliations, audits, analyzing tax problems, maintaining controls necessary to meet all regulations, and general support. This position is based out of our corporate headquarters in McLean, VA.
- Support and maintain all aspects of the payroll tax function including year end W2 processing.
- Review Master Tax data on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis, performing reconciliations and coordinating resolutions for any discrepancies.
- Assist compliance with statutory reporting and filing requirements (e.g., payroll taxes, Federal, State and local taxes including, W2s, W3s, and state equivalents).
- Liaise with federal, state and local tax authorities as necessary.
- Assist with the semimonthly US payroll processes as well as any off-cycle processes.
- Perform cyclical audits and reconciliations of the payroll processes.
- Coordinate tax related adjustments and returns with payroll provider.
- Provide global payroll processing backup support.
- Maintain compliance procedures.
- Manage employee work locations and respective state and local tax profiles.
- Assist with 3rd Party vendor files and payments.
- Provide support for payroll implementations and integrations.
- Support stock compensation processing globally.
- Assist to identify and implement enhancements and controls around processes in HRIS and payroll systems.
- Provide exceptional customer service and support to internal and external partners.
- Assist in documenting process procedures.
- Maintain professional and technical job knowledge by attending seminars, workshops, and maintaining professional networks and contacts.
- 5+ years US payroll with strong payroll tax experience required.
- Workday experience a plus.
- Global payroll is a plus.
- Certified payroll professional certification is a plus.
- Excellent working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax withholdings laws and regulations.
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential employee information in a professional manner.
- Strong ability in analyzing tax problems, maintaining controls necessary to meet all regulations.
- Proven abilities to support a dynamic and evolving working environment.
- Strong process execution and advanced analytical skills for process support and reconciliations.
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.