Appian is one of the hottest companies in software today. We are a rapidly growing organization with over twelve hundred employees and a sales organization that’s growing over 50% per year.
You can be an important part of our growth by creating and managing a “Deal Desk” function. This position puts you right in the beating heart of our business, marshalling deals to ensure successful outcomes for Appian and our clients. Your responsibilities range from advising on list price policies to helping the sales team shape large, complicated transactions and improve our turnaround in negotiations. You will assume ownership of Appian’s CPQ (“Configure Price Quote”) and OTC (“Order to Cash”) applications, which were built internally on our software (of course!), driving expansion and modification to improve our internal processes.
Your “home team” is Appian’s Sales Operations group and you will report to the Vice President of Sales Strategy and Operations. But this is an inter-departmental role, sitting at the nexus of sales, legal, finance, pricing strategy, and product management. It requires a mix of critical thinking skills, creativity, attention to detail, quantitative analysis, and excellent communication and relationship building skills. As Appian grows, so will this function, and you will go from being the function by yourself to managing a team of deal desk specialists around the world.
Succeeding in this position requires you to be a self-starter with proven problem-solving skills. If you want a work environment where your ideas are welcome and your contributions are recognized, this is the place for you!
Specific responsibilities include:
- Helping the sales team shape transactions so they meet the client’s needs while complying with Appian’s internal policies
- Taking the learnings from individual transactions and driving appropriate changes to our applications and practices
- Educating different groups on pricing policy and how price quotes are developed
- Be the product owner for our Configure, Price, Quote and Order to Cash applications
- Evaluate potential new pricing models and recommend changes in our pricing approach
- Over time, develop and lead a team of deal desk specialists
Required education and experience for this role includes:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, sales, or a business-related field. MBA or global equivalent is a plus.
- Strong quantitative analytic skills. Ability to quickly understand the details of a transaction and be able to model them in spreadsheets on the fly. (If your friends complain you like spreadsheets too much, that’s probably a good sign.)
- Self-starter, inclined to take action and work independently, although support is there when you need it. Driven not just to complete tasks, but to see them through to impact.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented. Must be organized and able to stay on top of fast-moving information and tasks that are likely to change at a moment’s notice.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and working in a rapidly evolving environment
- Process focused by nature. (You like order and having things documented for easy reference.)
- Working knowledge of contracts and accounting is a plus. Experience with software contracts and revenue recognition policies is a double plus.
The position is based in our Tysons, Virginia office. Minimal travel is expected.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.