Manager, Revenue Accounting
The Revenue Accounting Manager is responsible for processing and accounting for sales orders received for consulting services, as well as some software, SaaS, maintenance, and training orders. In addition, this Manager will assist with the month-end close process to help ensure the accuracy of revenue, deferred revenue and unbilled accounts receivable by reconciling related general ledger accounts and preparing adjusting journal entries.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise the processing of incoming contracts for consulting, software, maintenance, and training in a timely and accurate manner. Focus will be primarily on consulting orders. Related tasks include:
- Review and approval of sales orders entered in NetSuite
- Review of spreadsheets used for the reconciliation and forecasting of revenue and billing.
- Completion of checklists to document approval and accounting conclusions.
- Work closely with the Professional Services group to ensure that consulting services are invoiced in a timely manner and that related revenues are accurate. Monitor proportional performance on fixed price projects and help ensure the accuracy of estimates-to-complete reported to the Finance department.
- Provide feedback and guidance to Data Entry Specialists as needed.
- Assist with month-end reconciliation of all revenue, unbilled accounts receivable and deferred revenue accounts, and analyze fluctuations in these accounts.
- Prepare journal entries for manual adjustments to related accounts as needed.
- Act as a back-up to the Billing Manager when needed.
- Support annual audit and quarterly reviews by providing external auditors with requested documentation for revenue transactions being tested.
- Assist with preparation of SEC filings as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- CPA is helpful but not required
- 5-10 years of general accounting experience required.
- Software or technology industry experience preferred.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills required for regular and frequent interaction with sales and consulting personnel, senior management, and outside auditors.
- Strong accounting knowledge required
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required
- ERP financial systems experience also required. NetSuite experience preferred.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in an area requiring special attention to detail and adherence to regular monthly deadlines.
- Ability to grow and take on more responsibilities as required.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.