As part of our Data Layer squad you’ll dive into challenges of scaling a complex and powerful cloud platform. You’ll leverage the latest tools to build a new data layer to accelerate data persistence and retrieval by making it intuitive and fast. As an increasing number of apps are being built by our users on the platform the data layer team must shape the future of Appian’s reporting engine.
In addition, you will be the primary person to improve the rapidly growing, complex and highly available MySQL server architecture for our customers. You will need to define best practices for automated procedures in upgrading and debugging performance tuning issues. We expect you to know MySQL database system inside and out and be a little bit obsessive about performance and scalability.
Join us as we scale into the future!
What is Appian? It’s an application platform that lets business people build powerful cloud and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code.
Working in Appian Engineering:
- Modern tech stack: Full stack Java, MySQL, Continuous Integration, Docker
- Indie time -- set aside every month for fun side projects
- Casual working environment -- wear what you want
- Company retreat, movie nights, fun events -- bring the whole family!
- Lateral mobility encouraged by supportive senior leadership
- Data is your passion. You’re an efficient and elegant coder, ideally with 5+ years of strong experience developing applications using MySQL
- 5+ years of experience developing with Java (or other object-oriented language)
- Knowledge of de-facto standards and best practices in MySQL
- Expert knowledge implementing solutions using MySQL (or any InnoDB storage engine)
- Data structures & algorithms delight you; you thrive on solving challenging problems within large, high-performance, real-time, distributed data systems
- Always excited to dive into new concepts and technologies
- You have no problem with object-oriented or functional programming