DIRECTOR OF INTERIORS
APPARATUS is New York-based design studio that explores the relationship of lighting, furniture and objects in immersive environments, threading the historical and the cultural through a modern lens.
- Lead a creative and collaborative interior design team across multiple categories of built environments, moving deftly between the ephemeral and long-term.
- Be accountable for the communication and execution of design vision and program to the interior design team while providing supportive briefs and delegation of tasks to meet project milestones.
- Collaborate with cross-departmental colleagues and core project stakeholders to promote an interdisciplinary design approach which considers and delivers on overall Apparatus brand identity.
- Project expertise of design history and agility of styles while problem solving materiality and fabrication techniques. Ability to use this knowledge to mentor team members with design historical context.
- Manage global Interiors initiatives through the entire project lifecycle: planning, budgeting, sourcing, production, delivery and installation.
- Drive successful design reviews and meetings with excellent time management, scheduling of calendar and the preparation of meeting agendas, staged printed documents, and meeting minutes.
- Manage and mentor interiors team to organize work and produce detailed interior elevations, custom millwork, and construction drawings that meet and exceed industry drafting standards.
- Assist and support Interiors team with the fabrication development, construction detailing and installation of all decorative furnishings, including and not limited to upholstery, artwork, accessories, and drapery.
- Lead processes and execution of improvements and maintenance for Apparatus Gallery spaces by fielding team requests and organizing of works with existing and new contractor partners as needed.
- Effectively build new vendor relationships and maintain professional vendor relationships by understanding historical context with key project and specialist partners.
- Be responsive to and consider Apparatus press and/or marketing initiatives when building out project calendars with key dates including but not limited to press visits, photography and events.
- Review and direct architectural drawing sets, fabrication shop drawings, and construction submittals to ensure design intent is achieved.
- On-site point of contact for external consultants including Vendors, Fabricators, Architects and General Contractors.
- Project lead on purchasing and expediting of all stages of fabrication, from timeline and cost negotiation through installation.
- Prepare schemes and project boards for visual reference throughout a project timeline, keeping updated samples well-represented with accurate pricing and availability.
- Superior verbal and communications skills with accountability and follow-through.
- Expert knowledge of design history, design trends, and the interiors landscape.
- Team and process management skills across multiple concurrent interiors projects.
- Working knowledge of how to guide all phases of design from Concept Development to Installation.
- Familiarity with building codes and design industry standards.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Rhino, V-Ray, Adobe Suite, and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent time-management skills, to work under pressure and deliver projects under tight deadlines.
- Critical thinking with the ability to foresee problems and suggest solutions.
- Lead by example, create a work environment that promotes a high level of engagement, skill-building, and efficiency in productivity and quality.
- Comfortable stepping outside regular duties as needed to adapt quickly to changing plans and priorities in an ever-evolving environment.
- Ability to respond professionally to critical feedback and proactively in seeking support and help when needed.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture or Interior Design.
- 6-8 years of professional working experience in high-end interior design.
- Extensive and proven project management experience in a high-paced environment that values consistency, efficiency and excellence.
- Experience in a business that requires a team to execute the common vision, understands the value of the individual and the team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively; ability to delegate and drive for results.
- Position is based in the New York showroom and is not remote.
- Full-time studio hours: Monday – Friday generally 10:00AM – 6:00PM
- Longer hours and weekend availability, requested on an as need basis.
PERFORMANCE REVIEW AND CHECK-INS SCHEDULE
Annual performance review.
This is a full-time position with competitive compensation and benefits. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position is based in our New York studio. Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.