DIRECTOR OF PRODUCTION
APPARATUS is a New York-based designer and manufacturer of a distinctive catalog of high-end, high-touch lighting, furniture and objects. We produce both in-house and with the support of high-quality external partners; our catalog is sold globally.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of APPARATUS Production functions and strategy. Supervise the tactical development, execution, and reporting.
- Lead by example, create a work environment that promotes a high level of engagement and accountability, skill-building, efficiency, and communication, driving excellence in process design, productivity, and quality.
- Provide leadership and guidance relative to the day-to-day and strategic operations. Coach staff to achieve goals by clearly communicating the metrics by which success is measured in each area of the business, with additional focus on Manager development. Provide thoughtful and regular professional development feedback.
- Cultivate operational excellence and build a responsive organization, leveraging data, functions and principles, i.e., production processes, equipment and technology, employee management, finance, internal relationships and customer service. Report on quality and service level KPIs, promptly and effectively identify and resolve issues.
- Oversee accurate planning and control systems and procedures, providing visibility into capacity, load and CER/expense budget. Maintain productivity, quality and on-time delivery while factoring for planned growth, trends, and company initiatives. Address/reconcile any conflicts regarding scheduling, production, and personnel, conduct root cause analysis. Timely submission and closure of all orders and expenses.
- Collaborate with major stakeholders to ensure key metrics are met or exceeded; proactively advise cross-functional leadership of opportunities or critical issues that may impact manufacturing and/or quality, i.e., capacity, lead-time/delivery, productivity, capabilities, quality and safety; provide solutions and take actions to mitigate risk.
- Maintain an expert-level understanding of all active collections, bills of material, work center routing and instructions; develop production strategies to ensure successful new product launches and on-going production.
- Manage equipment performance audit and maintenance, ensuring availability and performance.
- Guide Production best practices and drive improvements in systems, equipment, and lean processes supporting accuracy, agility, responsiveness, business continuity and resilience. Coordinate, manage and evaluate the implementation of new processes in area of responsibility. Maintain and/or establish relevant SOPs and training.
- Advance Production related time and costs reductions through effective people and resource management, operational efficiencies, process design and equipment. Manage data integrity.
- Enroll team members in new processes and initiatives to collect feedback and gain buy-in.
- Champion and promote adoption of change initiatives and continuous improvement efforts.
- Promote and support Company policies and ensure compliance with Company and government safety regulations, provide feedback and training to team members when necessary.
- Reprioritize work to support the needs of the team or the business, escalate challenges in advance of missing calendar deadlines.
- Be a conduit of conversation, feedback and advocacy between team members and VP of Manufacturing and escalate any issues that require additional support.
- Creatively problem solve for issues that impact your department, communicating proposed solutions to the VP of Manufacturing and collaborating to a final result.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Proactive communication and commitment to seeing things through to resolution.
- Demonstrate an excellent level of flexibility toward an evolving landscape; remain open to process and people changes and feedback of what’s working well and what isn’t.
- Ability to understand and translate company strategies and operational business needs into future capabilities and solutions.
- Learn and maintain a deep level of product knowledge with the ability to communicate and demonstrate procedures to team members clearly and effectively.
- Complex problem-solving and analytical skills. Highly proficient with Excel and Salesforce. Ability to create, use and interpret reports and dashboards.
- Solid understanding of process design and optimization.
- Detail oriented with clear and effective organizational and communication skills; ability to delegate and drive for results.
- Commitment to independent learning and expanding professional and technical knowledge.
- Demonstrated commitment to working cross-functionally and openness to giving and receiving feedback from peers, team members, managers, and senior leadership.
- Self-motivated, responsible, proactively communicates, and thrives in a culture of excellence.
- Excellent time management.
- Ability to work well under pressure or amid competing priorities.
- Ability to motivate and inspire a team and drive results.
- Ability to give team members thoughtful and helpful feedback and coach to results.
- Solutions-based thinker with a consistently positive attitude, displayed both as an individual and within a collaborative team.
- Deep understanding of department operations, dependencies, and impacts on people and processes, both internal and external.
- Able to foster open communication, accept delegation, manage up, effectively respond to feedback and proactive in seeking support and help when needed.
- Desire to be a part of a small team, flexible, with the ability to pivot to accomplish company goals.
- Trustworthy with sensitive, confidential, and proprietary information.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 8+ years of experience in Production, Project Management, or Business Operations, with 4+ years of relevant management or supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree: Engineering, Supply Chain, Logistics, Mathematics, Business concentration preferred.
- Firm grasp of manufacturing capabilities, process engineering, business, and management principles.
- Solid knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Material Resource Planning (MRP), and/or Inventory Control systems.
- Deep experience gaining consensus among a large, diverse group of stakeholders.
- Proven record of attracting, developing, and retaining talented people; with dedication to operational excellence and providing outstanding customer service.
- Proven change management effectiveness.
- Solid knowledge of exchange rates and import/export procedures.
- Project management experience.
- Category specific industry experience.
- Salesforce experience.
- Advanced degree in a technical or business discipline or equivalent business background.
- Professional qualification / certification from related professional body (Lean Six Sigma, Agile, PMP).
- Full-time on-site hours: Monday–Friday between 8:00AM–5:00PM.
- Longer hours and weekend availability as needed.
PERFORMANCE REVIEW AND CHECK-INS SCHEDULE
- Weekly 1:1s.
- Annual performance review.
This is a full-time position with competitive compensation and benefits. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position is based our APPARATUS PRODUCTION facility in Red Hook. Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.