Founded in 2015, Apollo is a leading sales intelligence and engagement platform trusted by over 15,000 paying customers, from rapidly growing startups to the largest global enterprises. Our platform unifies a database of 200 million business contacts with advanced intelligence and engagement tools, to help over 500,000 sales, marketing, and recruiting professionals to connect with the right person at the right time with the right message, at speed and scale.
In the last year, we’ve grown ARR 3x, quadrupled our active users, maintained profitability 18 out of the past 20 months, and recently closed a $110M Series C led by Sequoia Capital to fuel the next phase of our growth.
Working at Apollo
We are a remote-first inclusive organization focused on operational excellence. Our way of working ensures clear expectations and an environment to do your best work with ample reward.
Your Role & Mission
As a Senior Engineering Manager on the User Success team, you will be responsible for leading a team that makes Apollo’s products more intelligent by utilizing heuristics, data analysis, data mining, machine learning, or a combination of these. Your team(s) will primarily develop smart algorithms but in many cases they will also be responsible for building full-stack products around these algorithms. Your team will have a mix of software engineers, full-stack engineers, machine learning engineers, and data scientists. You team will power products like Search, Recommendations, Conversations or similar. The mission of the Intelligence team is to leverage Apollo’s massive scale data to understand and predict Apollo users’ behaviours and optimize their experience at all stages of the product journey.
We use technologies like Databricks, MongoDB, Snowflake, Spark, etc., and follow engineering best practices to build our solutions. Our infrastructure is hosted in Google Cloud Platform.
As the manager of this team, you will have the critical leadership role of enabling excellence, productivity, and growth in the Intelligence team as well as within Apollo's engineering organization. You crave the opportunity for hands-on mentorship, and to accelerate not only your career, but that of your team members’ as well.
- You love scaling up through well-written documents and well-defined processes. As a remote first company, documentation is critical to our hyper-growth and success.
- You are compassionate, put people first as a mentor, and are tactful with both accepting and delivering criticism to others.
- You have the leadership skills to think and execute strategically but are not afraid to get your hands dirty when needed.
- Your technical understanding of engineering systems, especially related to data and machine learning, is second to none.
- You can relate to and admire Apollo’s values of Ownership, Integrity, Curiosity, Excellence, Teamwork, and Fun.
Daily Adventures and Responsibilities
- Build and lead your team’s processes like scrum, tech planning, code reviews, and weekly team meetings.
- Lead your team’s strategic planning like quarterly OKRs, roadmaps, project statuses, monthly business reviews, and weekly updates.
- Lead with empathy and develop your team members through career planning, regular feedback, and 1:1s.
- Have consistent and clear communication with stakeholders and the leadership team.
- Build and scale a world-class engineering team by sourcing and hiring A+ candidates.
- Conduct objective and actionable quarterly performance reviews for engineers and managers.
- Build systems that help Apollo personalize their users’ experience
Skills and Relevant Experiences
- 5+ years’ of hands-on software engineering industry experience. You will be leading a team of multiple senior and staff level engineers so you need to be technically very strong.
- 3-5 years' experience in people management, preferably leading senior engineers and managers.
- 4+ years’ of experience in machine learning or data mining.
- Proven track record of technical leadership. Strong fundamentals in software architecture at scale, effective engineering processes, and cross-team function.
- Understanding of data privacy and security fundamentals.
Great to have
- Familiarity with React, MongoDB, SQL, data warehousing, and ElasticSearch.
- Experience with data platforms (Snowflake, Databricks, Airflow, Looker, etc.).
- Experience with Web scraping.
What You’ll Love About Apollo
Besides the great compensation package and culture that thrives in openness and excellence, we invest tremendous effort into developing our remote employees’ careers. The team embraces that we have a sole purpose: to help customers maximize their full revenue potential on the Apollo platform. This mindset opens us up to a lot of creative approaches to making customers successful at scale. You’ll be a significant part of a lean, remote team, empowered to really own your role as a proactive educator. We’re very collaborative at Apollo, so you’ll be able to lean on your teammates, even in adjacent departments, to help you achieve lofty goals. You’ll be supported and encouraged to experiment and take educated risks that lead to big wins. And, you’ll have a whole team remotely by your side to help you do it!