Would you like to be part of a company that is modernizing the traditional financial services industry? At Apex Clearing, we provide features and services that power many of today’s hottest stock trading applications. Processing millions of transactions each day, our systems simplify, automate, and facilitate access to financial markets for all. We are looking for a seasoned data scientist to build and test machine learning models on top of our rich, untapped data.
If you are passionate about harnessing data to design, build, and deploy creative models to address existing and novel problems, then this role is for you. You will play a fundamental role in pioneering the use of machine learning at Apex Clearing in critical areas such as cash transfers, price optimization, fraud detection, and risk management. Along the way, you’ll learn about the problem space and re-imagine existing solutions. Your work will interface with a number of back-end services, and you will be an important part of architecting a data landscape that facilitates the models you envision.
This is an opportunity to join and shape a newly-forming data science team in the exciting area of financial services, at a company renowned for innovation. You can have a huge impact here. There are a multitude of opportunities to drive the business forward by defining and formulating solutions using state-of-the-art deep learning and classic machine learning techniques.
This role reports directly to the Sr. Director of Data Science (who is based in Portland, OR) and works closely with engineers, product owners, analysts, and many others across the organization.
You can work out of one of our offices in Portland, Dallas, Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles, or you can be remote.
What you’ll do all day:
- Design, develop, and validate machine learning models for use cases that solve problems in Apex Clearing’s financial services business.
- Discover and leverage both internal and external data sources that support machine learning models and bring value to the company.
- Write ETL pipelines to make data available for training and testing models both offline and in production.
- Deploy, monitor, and maintain models in production.
- Help establish technical expectations and processes for a growing data science team.
- Help shape a presence and identity for data science at Apex Clearing and its parent company, PEAK6.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Advanced degree in a technical field (e.g., computer science, computer engineering, physics, statistics) preferred, but appropriate alternate experience considered.
- Solid theoretical grasp of classic machine learning and deep learning models and algorithms, including the math behind them.
- Professional experience with design, development, and deployment of machine learning solutions to real-life problems.
- Strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of Python, including expert-level experience with some subset of the major Python ML/DL libraries (e.g., PyTorch, TensorFlow, scikit-learn, pandas, numpy).
- Ability to navigate in a SQL environment (i.e., solid understanding of SQL).
- Professional experience developing models in a distributed cloud computing environment.
- (preferred) Professional experience developing ETL pipelines to support large-scale machine learning model training and productionization.
- (preferred) Professional experience with MLops (productionization, monitoring, and maintenance).