At Apeel, we look to nature to help the global food system extend quality, prevent waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
About This Role
Apeel Sciences is seeking a highly motivated, creative, and research-oriented Scientist to execute research projects focused on the scale-up application of new formulations that extend the shelf life of fresh produce. The individual will be responsible for testing and validation of our formulations on fresh produce, both in-house and in various locations around the globe. Scientists will work closely with other researchers within Apeel Labs to conduct research, execute product trials, and calibrate product performance on existing and new application equipment.
[This role will be based onsite at our headquarters in Goleta, California]
What You'll Do
- Design and execute experiments to optimize formulations that extend the shelf life of fresh produce.
- Collect and analyze data from produce tests; prepare reports for presentation to internal and external parties.
- Assist in the development of new technologies that expand Apeel’s technological capabilities
- Author and adhere to standard operating procedures, train incoming technicians, and ensure compliance with these standardized processes by colleagues.
- Research and educate team members on relevant technical topics
What You Bring
- Ideal candidates for this position will hold a BS in materials science, chemistry, engineering, or a related STEM field.
- Ideal candidates will have experience in process chemistry
- Formal research experience (minimum of 2 years) in a STEM field is required.
- Ideal candidates will have demonstrated organizational ability and high attention to detail.
- Candidates who have demonstrated effective written and/or verbal communication in various technical fields will be given preference.
- Ability to perform indoor and outdoor work in cold or hot environments, and the ability to lift and move boxes of fruit (up to 40 lbs).
- Up to 20% travel (domestic and international) may be required
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have any need for accommodations, you can let us know if you choose and know that we will do our best to assist you.