At Apeel, we look to nature to help the global food system extend quality, prevent waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
We’re seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our growing team. As a Senior Data Scientist, you’ll clean, organize, and analyze supply chain data to glean meaningful insights and opportunities, as well as build predictive models to automate and streamline business decision-making. You will have the opportunity to work with our Hyperspectral Imaging Technology (ImpactVision), NIR Spectra, RGB Images, Videos and Tabular Time Series Data. You will also collaborate with Software, Sciences, Strategy, Sales, Marketing and Finance teams to define and execute projects. In this role you will work full-time in our Goleta, California office (hybrid on-site/remote options will also be considered).
What You’ll Do
- Work with the data science team and stakeholders across the organization to help advance the state-of-the-art in produce analytics and logistics
- Develop actionable data insights that uncover trends, inefficiencies, and opportunities for improving the quality of produce delivered to the end consumer
- Develop data analysis, machine learning, and computer vision projects: query, compile, clean data from multiple sources; unsupervised data analysis (PCA, K-means, etc.); perform statistical analyses on datasets, e.g., hypothesis testing, Bayesian inference, outlier/anomaly detection; build data pipelines and supervised machine learning models; research and develop state-of-the-art computer vision models
- Write and contribute production code to the Apeel software stack
What You Bring
- MS/PhD in Physics, Math, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or other scientific discipline or equivalent industry experience
- 3+ years of experience
- Technical expertise in Data Science and machine learning with Python
- Knowledge of standard data tools (Scikit-learn, Pandas, Numpy, SciPy, OpenCV)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to guide cross-functional teams
- Experience with Tensorflow and Pytorch
- Experience with SQL
- Familiarity with AWS (EC2 and S3)
- Familiarity with Bash/Zsh
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.